The Last Kingdom

Yeah, enjoying it. Series 1 inspired me to read the books, which are generally excellent. It's reasonably faithful to the books in terms of general story line but they've included one character (Hallig) who wasn't in the books and, for obvious narrative reasons, included scenes which don't include Uhtred (the books are written with him as narrator).

I thought last night's episode was brilliant and at a thrilling pace. Other dramas (looking at you, Game of Thrones) would have spent 6 episodes on the ship. Very touching scene between Uhtred and Hild I thought. I had watery eyes I must admit.

I thought last night's episode was brilliant and at a thrilling pace. Other dramas (looking at you, Game of Thrones) would have spent 6 episodes on the ship. Very touching scene between Uhtred and Hild I thought. I had watery eyes I must admit.

It certainly speeds along. Having said it's reasonably faithful to the book, I've just read a synopsis of book 3 (The Lords of the North) and realised it diverges quite a lot in many of the details.

Soft lass :p
Nowt wrong with being a lass and being soft! :lol:

It certainly speeds along. Having said it's reasonably faithful to the book, I've just read a synopsis of book 3 (The Lords of the North) and realised it diverges quite a lot in many of the details.
I've only read the first book - as the last series was playing. It certainly helps to keep the image of Alexander Dreymon in mind as you read! :lol:

Last edited:
I'm enjoying it but impatiently waiting for following series' to see Æthelflaed come into her own - a fave historical character of mine and Millie Brady is just very hot. Great telly so far though. Cornwall gets the balance between accuracy and drama just about right.

I rather like the character of Aethelwold and enjoyed his stifled laughter when the old bloke died. I hope he gets to do a bit more this series!

Took me ages to realise where I'd seen Guthred before - Saga's replacement partner Henrick from The Bridge.

I rather like the character of Aethelwold and enjoyed his stifled laughter when the old bloke died. I hope he gets to do a bit more this series!

Took me ages to realise where I'd seen Guthred before - Saga's replacement partner Henrick from The Bridge.

I'm trying to remember back to the books regarding Aethelwold. He definitely pops up now and again...

Took me a while with Guthred as well. Also, the bloke playing Brother Trew plays Liam Moone (Martin's dad) in Moone Boy.

I'm trying to remember back to the books regarding Aethelwold. He definitely pops up now and again...

Took me a while with Guthred as well. Also, the bloke playing Brother Trew plays Liam Moone (Martin's dad) in Moone Boy.
It was his eyes that were familiar as his hair was darker in The Bridge. Was the lad playing Hallig from Shameless? I'm also liking the development of Hild too.

Yes it had an 'end of series' feel and I read that was because it was the ending of book 3. Another good episode but will miss Kjartan - just for the way Uhtred pronounces his name! Happy to see Aethelwold back in action too. I thought the makeup person was a bit heavy handed on the old eyeliner with Uhtred now and then, however. I'm intrigued to know what happens next to Guthred.

Yes it had an 'end of series' feel and I read that was because it was the ending of book 3. Another good episode but will miss Kjartan - just for the way Uhtred pronounces his name! Happy to see Aethelwold back in action too. I thought the makeup person was a bit heavy handed on the old eyeliner with Uhtred now and then, however. I'm intrigued to know what happens next to Guthred.

A lot will depend on how closely they stick with the books with regard to Guthred. Book 4 focuses primarily on Wessex/East Anglia and the two brothers.

A lot will depend on how closely they stick with the books with regard to Guthred. Book 4 focuses primarily on Wessex/East Anglia and the two brothers.
Interesting. But which 2 brothers? Uhtred and Ragnar or Siegfried and (I'm tempted to say Roy...) whoever...? Does Thyra get a decent story or is that it for her?

Back