The king of the Fulwell End - Sammy Smith RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can remember Sammy from the Fulwell End and away games in the early 70s. Me and a mate had got the train down to Leicester for the match and were walking towards the ground, we hadn't got far and we see someone riding towards us. It was Sammy on a Hot Dog Cart that he had liberated. We asked if we were going in the right direction for the ground, he assured us we were and off he went in the other direction.

Sammy smith a hero of my youth will be sadly missed by us all.. A true roker park lad with who could of written a book 10000 pages thick with his exeploits following his beloverd sunderland... Never forgotton by the older generation ...R I P MATE from your old pal hutch.

Sorry for your loss.
Football was and never just about the 90 minutes. The adventures you share, the laughter and then the challenges you have to get out of.
You look back with mates over a pint and without doubt the football and the adventures are up there equally and would even say the latter make the most interesting discussions.
Clearly I don’t know your Mate but I can see a daft local lad that brought some fun to a fair few and football to me is all about those characters that become part of the family.
RIP.

Sorry for your loss.
Football was and never just about the 90 minutes. The adventures you share, the laughter and then the challenges you have to get out of.
You look back with mates over a pint and without doubt the football and the adventures are up there equally and would even say the latter make the most interesting discussions.
Clearly I don’t know your Mate but I can see a daft local lad that brought some fun to a fair few and football to me is all about those characters that become part of the family.
RIP.
'Daft local lad' is it?

Being an expat since "73 i can't say that i've ever had the priviledge of experiencing some of the exploits shared in this thread.

Gotta say that from what i've read although he come's across a bit of a larikin he's the type of legend that clubs are made of.

RIP Sammy.

We played Oldham away on Good Friday 1978 and we were drinking in a pub on the Rochdale Rd.

Sammy was acting himself a bit and eventually the landlord had enough of him.

It must have taken 20 minutes before he finally persuaded him to leave the pub, at which point the barman let out a sigh of relief.

Within seconds Sammy appears behind the bar to the cheers of all of us.

How he got in via the landlords house nobody knew, but it was hilarious to see.

Happy days!!
Fuckn hell that was 40 years and I remember that

Just to let people know.. sammy's funeral will be at Sunderland Crem on Tuesday 7th of May at 1130am.. I would imagine there will not be enough room in there for people wanting to attend..

This is a great thread, under sad circumstances

Really enjoying reading these stories, sounds like a character RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back