The king of the Fulwell End - Sammy Smith RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlton Away, November 78, there was definitely a coffin doing the rounds though I don’t remember Sammy’s involvement (on this occasion).

The lads who had it outside one of the pubs were parading it up the middle of the road and stopping the traffic, so there’s definitely some truth in it
With Sammy there was often some truths in the stories, that over the years got better and better.. That was part of his charm..

Here’s another...

Bristol City, 1st away of the season, -197?, night game.

Hitched from Wakey with my Easington cousin - loads of stories about that itself, but back to Sammy.

Outside the ground he was selling seat vouchers for £1 iirc. As it was Sammy I said no.
Paid to stand on away end ( 20 of us inc Cummy from Wingate?). Group of our lot in the seats, f’ing Sammy - he’d got vouchers from players :rolleyes:
Back at Temple Meads there was about 10 of us on the overnight train - not 1 ticket between us :lol:

Last edited:
& another train one ...

Naaarch late on 1976? Got the last train Frida night from Wakey for a 4 hr wait at Peterborough. Load of Leeds on it going to Ipswich.

About 1 or 2 am train came in with Sammy & plenty of others.

Icy couple of hours with polis about then Leeds went about 5

Short while after we got our train to Ely. In the 30 min wait there milk disappeared from doorsteps & a newsagent got a shock ( I couldn’t say cleared out )

Arrived in Naaarch about 7, all jumped off singing our arrival songs ( a la football specials), only for Sammy to run around screaming at everyone to stay quiet cos he ( once again) didn’t have a train ticket & didn’t want to draw attention to himself :lol:

Last edited:
& another train one ...

Naaarch late on 1976? Got the last train Frida night from Wakey for a 4 hr wait at Peterborough. Load of Leeds on it going to Ipswich.

Icy couple of hours with polis about the Leeds went about 5

Short while after we got our train to Ely. In the 30 min wait there milk disappeared from doorsteps & a newsagent got a shock ( I couldn’t say cleared out )

Arrived in Naaarch about 7, all jumped off singing our arrival songs ( a la football specials), only for Sammy to run around screaming at everyone to stay quiet cos he ( once again) didn’t have a train ticket & didn’t want to draw attention to himself :lol:
Think the only one's who won't mourn his passing are Mags, the police and British Rail :D

I knew a lad from Wakey who once did a bit of time in a YOI/nick.

When he came out he said, “ one of your lot ( SAFC) was in there & he was a nutter, kept jumping on tables & singing, even interrupting lads playing pool”. He didn’t know him cos in another group ( or summink) but he described him as “ long chinned”. :lol:

Great thread. I'm too young to have served alongside Sammy in the '70's, went to my first away in '81 but I knew of him and saw him out and about around Sunderland now and then. He was daft as a ships cat but more importantly Sunderland 'til he died.

I think we should try to get a tribute going at the Donny game. A quick rendition of Tell Laura I Love Her followed by a minutes applause on 65 minutes. For our Sammy.

Great thread. I'm too young to have served alongside Sammy in the '70's, went to my first away in '81 but I knew of him and saw him out and about around Sunderland now and then. He was daft as a ships cat but more importantly Sunderland 'til he died.

I think we should try to get a tribute going at the Donny game. A quick rendition of Tell Laura I Love Her followed by a minutes applause on 65 minutes. For our Sammy.

Fantastic idea

Thank you William;)
B.Brewster,H.Dolan and Fer in there as well,the third lass is Christine D.

Last edited:

Not a fan of this sort of shit generally but this isnt a player whos passed through etc its a bloke whos spent a huge portion of his life at matches and entertained many along the way!

Told this tale on here before like. One of my first games, 86ish I reckon, we were playing shite, crowd silent n Sammy climbed on a barrier to get the Fulwell end going.
Bloke very well dressed for the fulwell for some reason goes “get down you look f***ing rediculous” Sammy flies through the air n delivers one to his chin!:eek:

That was first time id seen the bloke but my dad had told me a few tales.:lol:

& another train one ...

Icy couple of hours with polis about then Leeds went about 5

Here’s another...

Bristol City, 1st away of the season, -197?, night game.

Hitched from Wakey with my Easington cousin - loads of stories about that itself, but back to Sammy.

Outside the ground he was selling seat vouchers for £1 iirc. As it was Sammy I said no.
Paid to stand on away end ( 20 of us inc Cummy from Wingate?). Group of our lot in the seats, f’ing Sammy - he’d got vouchers from players :rolleyes:
Back at Temple Meads there was about 10 of us on the overnight train - not 1 ticket between us :lol:
I was one of those at Temple Meads- I gave up and hitched, Sammy planned to pull the communication cord somewhere near Chester le Street!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back