The king of the Fulwell End - Sammy Smith RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitting here in Australia reading the exploits of Sammy. He was a legendary character. Never new him well but fell for his domino care in the Red Lion a few times. Also, chipped in on the Vauxies bus to West Brom early 80s for Sammy’s entrance into the ground and beer money. RIP Sammy, makes me even prouder to be a Mackem.

Was having a pint with Sammy in the Cricket Club in Ryhope a few years ago.
He was reminiscing about his old exploits I know many were true,but let’s just say Sammy could elaborate a story a bit.
He was on about the day he ran across the pitch on his own at West Brom and steamed into their end.
He said the game was on Match of Day that neet and the commentator Barry Davies on seeing him on the pitch said “Oh look, there’s Sammy just come on the pitch”
Fuckin priceless!
He once told me a tale that he and his mates had pinched a coffin from a street near Charlton's ground, and they put sammy inside and carried him to the ground, saying it was his last wish to be taken to this match. He said the stewards let them in with the coffin and then he jumped out and ran away.. Great story, but I didn't believe it for a second..:lol::lol:

Sammy is 2nd row from back - standing on the wall, Herbie to his right with eyes closed!

Logon or register to see this image
Cheers for this mate.. Great photo..

Last edited:
I was going to say at least 3 but it could just be my eyes:oops:
:lol: I thought maybe 2 but could be the 70s hairstyles:eek:.
Tommy L whose pic it is said there's defo a lass called Janice in it. Used to travel with the Vauxie apparently. Wonder if she posts on here

1st time I saw the man in action was August 1975 away to Boro in the Anglo Scottish Cup. I was a 13 year old kid and had gone on the service bus from Durham. It was my first introduction to football violence in the flesh. There was hell on before during and after the match. Anyway during the game this guy is been lead out by the police. Suddenly he grabs the corner flag and starts swinging it at the coppers. A bloke behind me says to his lass "That's Sammy Chin leader of the Fulwell End"

How many of the 22/23 lads n lasses on that pic actually post on here?
Haway, own the feck up! :lol:

1st time I saw the man in action was August 1975 away to Boro in the Anglo Scottish Cup. I was a 13 year old kid and had gone on the service bus from Durham. It was my first introduction to football violence in the flesh. There was hell on before during and after the match. Anyway during the game this guy is been lead out by the police. Suddenly he grabs the corner flag and starts swinging it at the coppers. A bloke behind me says to his lass "That's Sammy Chin leader of the Fulwell End"

I was at that one, boiling hot and about a 6000 crowd with maybe 500 Sunlun there.
On the train down I always remember a lad who had a joint Rangers/Safc scarf singing "We got Colin Colin Colin Stein at number 9 number 9 etc. Sticks in my memory for some strange reason.

Boro were game as owt and was a good job I could run like Carl Lewis at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many of the 22/23 lads n lasses on that pic actually post on here?
Haway, own the feck up! :lol:
How many still alive ?

I was at that one, boiling hot and about a 6000 crowd with maybe 500 Sunlun there.
On the train down I always remember a lad who had a joint Rangers/Safc scarf singing "We got Colin Colin Colin Stein at number 9 number 9 etc. Sticks in my memory for some strange reason.

Boro were game as owt and was a good job I could run like Carl Lewis at that time.

Who are the 3 lads at front far right, kneeling down? Look familiar.

He once told me a tale that he and his mates had pinched a coffin from a street near Charlton's ground, and they put sammy inside and carried him to the ground, saying it was his last wish to be taken to this match. He said the stewards let them in with the coffin and then he jumped out and ran away.. Great story, but I didn't believe it for a second..:lol::lol:

Charlton Away, November 78, there was definitely a coffin doing the rounds though I don’t remember Sammy’s involvement (on this occasion).

The lads who had it outside one of the pubs were parading it up the middle of the road and stopping the traffic, so there’s definitely some truth in it

Just been advised that the lad singing the Colin Stein song on the train to Boro for Texaco Cup 75 was Armsy from Grangetown. Not someone I knew but sure a few on here will?

Front page of the Oxford Mail, courtesy of Tommy Lynn, from the same day as above:

Charlton Away, November 78, there was definitely a coffin doing the rounds though I don’t remember Sammy’s involvement (on this occasion).

The lads who had it outside one of the pubs were parading it up the middle of the road and stopping the traffic, so there’s definitely some truth in it
Youre spot on. We were stood outside a pub and it came past us. One of my mates won £1000 that day on the Roker Lottery on the travel Club bus.

Cheers for this mate.. Great photo..
Photo taken at St Giles, wherever that is in Oxford.

Last edited:
Front page of the Oxford Mail, courtesy of Tommy Lynn, from the same day as above:

Youre spot on. We were stood outside a pub and it came past us. One of my mates won £1000 that day on the Roker Lottery on the travel Club bus.

Photo taken at St Giles, wherever that is in Oxford.

At the very bottom of the Banbury Road, just up from Balliol and the Ashmolean. It's in the middle of the road, with a pub on either side - the Lamb and Flag, and the Eagle and Child (better known as the Bird and Baby, and famous for the writing club attended by JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis meeting there).

Edit: Actually, it looks like they're on the steps of the Martyrs Memorial, very close to the Ashmolean.

Last edited:
At the very bottom of the Banbury Road, just up from Balliol and the Ashmolean. It's in the middle of the road, with a pub on either side - the Lamb and Flag, and the Eagle and Child (better known as the Bird and Baby, and famous for the writing club attended by JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis meeting there).

Just up the road from the Aldates Tavern - where we were this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back