The Jam

My favourite band of all time and agree with Setting Sons as the stand out album. Thick as Thieves and Wasteland are incredible tracks. Modern World is massively underrated with the title track, standards and view from a window cracking tunes.

Although this can change from week to week I got by in time and Running on the spot my favourite tunes at the moment.

When I first got into the jam, I loved the earlier stuff. Tend to prefer stuff on the gift now.
Also some of the b sides and album tracks like butterfly collector, English rose.
Just who is the 5 o'clock hero and trans global express are class

Bump. Rewatching it tonight . . . The jam have been my.go to lockdown band. Done loads of wanders out at night with my earphones.in listening to them all over again. Cant decide between all mod cons and setting sons. What is not in dispute though is that Eton rifles is one of the greatest tracks made by a British band.

Saw Weller and his manager dining at Days of the Raj in Gosforth a few years ago when he was staying at Gosforth Park Hotel and playing in newcastle... spoke to his manager first who said he would indicate if it was ok to come over after his meal... fair enough... and he did... its fair to say that Weller perhaps wasn't always that approachable which is fair enough... but he was absolutely fine that night...

Saw Weller and his manager dining at Days of the Raj in Gosforth a few years ago when he was staying at Gosforth Park Hotel and playing in newcastle... spoke to his manager first who said he would indicate if it was ok to come over after his meal... fair enough... and he did... its fair to say that Weller perhaps wasn't always that approachable which is fair enough... but he was absolutely fine that night...

Definitely mellowed in his later years

Always had a reputation as a proper hard case. Not someone you'd want to cross, and often difficult to be around. But I suppose you have to forgive your heroes their personal idiosyncrasies (well, unless they turn out to be pedos, obvs :)).

Hmmm... unless we had a lot of fans travelling up from Leicester, you may well have been in the row in front of me in the North Stand in the early years at the SOL?

Did you ever travel up to RP just wearing shorts and a T-shirt and end up having to buy clothes at the club shop as the NE wasn't as warm as the midlands that day?!

Always had a reputation as a proper hard case. Not someone you'd want to cross, and often difficult to be around. But I suppose you have to forgive your heroes their personal idiosyncrasies (well, unless they turn out to be pedos, obvs :)).
Got it from his Dad who did a bit boxing..Sid Vicious found out to his regret when he allegedly got into an argument with Weller over which band had stolen the intro to ‘In the City’..‘Holidays in the Sun’..from the other..Weller allegedly brayed him.

Got it from his Dad who did a bit boxing..Sid Vicious found out to his regret when he allegedly got into an argument with Weller over which band had stolen the intro to ‘In the City’..‘Holidays in the Sun’..from the other..Weller allegedly brayed him.
I heard the story as Sid threatened to glass Weller after the argument, and as a result swiftly got the bridge of his nose crushed by Weller's forehead :)

Couldn’t disagree more, not that I didn’t love the Style Council, but The Jam for me, always
The end of The Jam have Mick on keys and brass sections thinking they were The Supremes
I'd long since ( it seemed long when you're young) give up on them
Early SC was good then less so .

I heard the story as Sid threatened to glass Weller after the argument, and as a result swiftly got the bridge of his nose crushed by Weller's forehead :)
Yeah, 'Sid' (aka John Beverley but named after Lydon's hamster or something) was a f***ing idiot... played the 'hard man' (bless him)...

and WTF was he doing with that Spungeon groupie who stunk of shit?

I wish I knew the true story about why Glenn Matlock left the pistols (or was kicked out) I suspect MM was behind it.
I wish I knew the true story about why Glenn Matlock left the pistols (or was kicked out) I suspect MM was behind it.
Ps I don’t believe the Paul McCartney and feet washing rubbish.

Last edited:
Got a mate (from Woking) who used to roadie for them when they first started out. I thought he was bullshitting me when he was telling me then the next time I saw him he pulled out a photo of him and the band in the mid-70's. They weren't Mods then like and Foxton was just hanging around the edges of the band.

Ps I don’t believe the Paul McCartney and feet washing rubbish.

Matlock was kicked out as McLaren could control Sid Vicious as he was a gullible moron. If McLaren said jump in front of a car he knew Sid would do it.

Matlock was kicked out as McLaren could control Sid Vicious as he was a gullible moron. If McLaren said jump in front of a car he knew Sid would do it.
Sid was utterly useless in every possible way - Glenn has been playing with Clem Burke the drummer from Blondie

Back