The Irishman

“Who’s that?”
“What’s happening?”
“This is too long.”
Not all women want to watch rom coms!

I really enjoyed it. Obviously it lacks the punch of Goodfellas and we're in familiar territory, but I'd rather spend 3+ hours with Bob and Al than most actors. Pacino hasn't been directed by Scorsese before - so that was good to see. I found the CGI initially off putting, but stuck with it. Worth it alone to see Al Pacino get into a scrap with Stephen Graham. Twice. As far as I'm concerned 'It is what is is'.

Thought it was decent but lacked in the story department when compared to his other works. However I acknowledge it was more chronological.

the acting was superb on all fronts, but Pesci stole the show for me

Thought it was a good film, not great.
Story was easy to follow with the trendy let’s look back theme.
Was expecting more violence to be honest, quite tame at times.

Not read the whole thread, but noticed the criticism of the de niro fight scene...

Is it the bit at the corner shop?

Not the best, but doesn't take away from the story.

What bit you thinking of? It never mentioned any of his childhood,knocking out a teacher or working as a dance teacher or with the carnival.
But cant think what else major it missed out.
The alleged rifle run to Texas that Sheeran seemed adamant in the book were one of the rifles used in the assassination of JFK.

MS has sort of addressed this:

"Sheeran’s gun story didn’t make it into The Irishman. Scorsese did not respond to requests for comment about the theory. But in a press junket at the New York Film Festival, where the movie debuted, the director explained his decision to tread lightly. “The decision had to be made, very clear, before I read the book,” Scorsese said, first reported by Esquire. “Are we going to get into what could be considered conspiracy theories?”"

Bit odd, considering it's a conspiracy theory that Sheeran shot Hoffa, which he shows.

The alleged rifle run to Texas that Sheeran seemed adamant in the book were one of the rifles used in the assassination of JFK.

MS has sort of addressed this:

"Sheeran’s gun story didn’t make it into The Irishman. Scorsese did not respond to requests for comment about the theory. But in a press junket at the New York Film Festival, where the movie debuted, the director explained his decision to tread lightly. “The decision had to be made, very clear, before I read the book,” Scorsese said, first reported by Esquire. “Are we going to get into what could be considered conspiracy theories?”"

Bit odd, considering it's a conspiracy theory that Sheeran shot Hoffa, which he shows.

Right got ya. I thought they still alluded to it a lot, like saying Kennedy "knows who he owes" etc. If you're familiar with the back story you will know they are mentioning it, but if you don't know the back story it seems like it doesn't mention it.
As an aside, that David Ferrie who was given the guns for the bay of pigs invasion was also Carlos Marcellos driver, and ran an air cadets things which Lee Harvey Oswald was a part of.

Right got ya. I thought they still alluded to it a lot, like saying Kennedy "knows who he owes" etc. If you're familiar with the back story you will know they are mentioning it, but if you don't know the back story it seems like it doesn't mention it.
As an aside, that David Ferrie who was given the guns for the bay of pigs invasion was also Carlos Marcellos driver, and ran an air cadets things which Lee Harvey Oswald was a part of.
Yeah, Pesci even says at some point, "If they can knock off a president, they can knock off the president of a union".

Think Ferrie was alleged to have helped Oswald to get out of Dallas after the shooting as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, Pesci even says at some point, "If they can knock off a president, they can knock off the president of a union".

Think Ferrie was alleged to have helped Oswald to get out of Dallas after the shooting as well.

At the risk of derailing the thread slightly, in my opinion, it was 100% the mob who bumped off JFK. Trafficante, Marcello, Giancana, Jack Ruby "the concerned citizen" able to eliminate Oswald, how do you do that without police allowing you to. How does a normal citizen get that close to a murder suspect. Everything about it comes back to the mob. The connections between people like Oswald-Ferrie-Marcello etc. Means, Motive, Opportunity.

Edit: when i say, "by police allowing you to" i don't mean they done it out of a sense of justice and retribution. They done it as they were paid off to allow him to get in there

Last edited:
At the risk of derailing the thread slightly, in my opinion, it was 100% the mob who bumped off JFK. Trafficante, Marcello, Giancana, Jack Ruby "the concerned citizen" able to eliminate Oswald, how do you do that without police allowing you to. How does a normal citizen get that close to a murder suspect. Everything about it comes back to the mob. The connections between people like Oswald-Ferrie-Marcello etc. Means, Motive, Opportunity.

Edit: when i say, "by police allowing you to" i don't mean they done it out of a sense of justice and retribution. They done it as they were paid off to allow him to get in there

Oswald was definitely bumped off to keep his mouth shut.

It was no secret that Jack Ruby was in debt to the mob at the time.

Managed to watch it over 4 separate evenings. Well worth watching but wondered if it's length was a halfway house between Scorsese wanting a film and Netflix preferring a series. Anna Paquin was wasted hardly spoke at all.

Watched it over the weekend (with pauses) - really enjoyed it. have to agree about Stephen Graham's accent - with all the high tech gubbins on that film, surely they could have dubbed it a bit to make it sound more authentic...

Last edited:

Back