The Irishman

The alleged rifle run to Texas that Sheeran seemed adamant in the book were one of the rifles used in the assassination of JFK.

MS has sort of addressed this:

"Sheeran’s gun story didn’t make it into The Irishman. Scorsese did not respond to requests for comment about the theory. But in a press junket at the New York Film Festival, where the movie debuted, the director explained his decision to tread lightly. “The decision had to be made, very clear, before I read the book,” Scorsese said, first reported by Esquire. “Are we going to get into what could be considered conspiracy theories?”"

Bit odd, considering it's a conspiracy theory that Sheeran shot Hoffa, which he shows.

The idea that Sheeran killed him isn’t really a conspiracy theory. It’s universally accepted that the Mafia were responsible for his disappearance and subsequent death. The only questions are who did the actual hit and what happened to his body.

Was OK, but found it disappointing and drawn out at times. Could have easily knocked an hour off it. CGI stuff was poor as were one or two scenes, particularly the corner shop 'fight'. Pacino and Pesci were great but I thought De Niro was poor as was Graham, especially his scouse American accent.
Pretty much this - although thought graham was decent, Pesci was outstanding - De Niro poor and cant really decide about Pacino - some scenes brilliant otters poor

Really enjoyed that.
I thought the acting was quality.
One or two scenes weren't great and 3.5 hours was too long.
Worth watching though.
Pretty much this - although thought graham was decent, Pesci was outstanding - De Niro poor and cant really decide about Pacino - some scenes brilliant otters poor
Didn't even notice them.
We're they in the river when he chucked the gun away?

Last edited:
What? It’s startling. Also you can CGI out wrinkles but when a character that’s supposed to be in his 40s is moving like a fella in his 80s, that’s noticeable too. De Niro can barely move when he’s beating up the shop keeper but he’s meant to be in his early 40s or so at that point.

Im not sure if it’s been mentioned on here or not but there’s a 20 minute video of Scorsese, Pacino, De Niro and Pesci talking about making the movie.

They talk about their body movements and trying to move like the age of their characters etc.

Im not sure if it’s been mentioned on here or not but there’s a 20 minute video of Scorsese, Pacino, De Niro and Pesci talking about making the movie.

They talk about their body movements and trying to move like the age of their characters etc.

De Niro didn't succeed at doing this - he moved like Arnold Ridley out of Dad's Army in the scene when he beat the shopkeeper up that had abused his daughter.

He was supposed to be a teenager when he shot the 2 German POWs who were digging their own grave - he looked like a 50+ year old bloke.
The movie was shite - just a load of geriatrics making some big bucks before they finally stop making movies.
The story isn't even true - in real life he was dying and made the shit up to sell a book - he did not kill Hoffa - they barely knew each other.

He was supposed to be a teenager when he shot the 2 German POWs who were digging their own grave - he looked like a 50+ year old bloke.
The movie was shite - just a load of geriatrics making some big bucks before they finally stop making movies.
The story isn't even true - in real life he was dying and made the shit up to sell a book - he did not kill Hoffa - they barely knew each other.

Can you justify that statement?

The facts would seem to indicate otherwise.

Looking at your avatar, I think it might be right up your alley! The thread is mostly people bitching about it being too long, the aging-CGI being a bit strange looking, and disputing the veracity of the original autobiography. Minor points.
I thought it was great :).
Aye true. I'm looking forward to it myself

Seen this twice now. Really surprised at how much more enjoyable it was second time. Especially considering I saw it in the cinema first.

Completely underestimated De Niros performance. He is phenomenal in the last 90 mins of this. The honour/award scene onwards is incredible cinema. Plenty of tension. I think the finale is as emotional an ending as Scorsese has ever achieved. That final shot.

Pesci deserves an Oscar. He is electric.

Back