The importance of pubs

Some on here have blamed it on blokes these days being 'fannies' and staying in a lot more to keep the missus' face straight.

Re: Smoking ban. Won't there be others who find pubs more appealing now as they don't have to suffer the effects of passive smoking or having to go home absolutely stinking? So one cancels out the other? Or is the conclusion most drinkers like a tab?
This

I watching a report the other day and they were practically blaming the next generation for not using them, the same generation who live at the hotel of mum and dad till their mid 20-30s, nowt to do with having to take a mortgage out just for a round of drinks.
If they want them to remain a cultural hub of Britishness, then government, breweries, landlords(real estate types) need to slash the costs to less than below £2a pint Simple, otherwise these brownfield sites are a far more attractive short term development, irrespective of the cultural raping.
If we charged less than £2 a pint our brewery would fold.

Thankfully I've never seen it, only know what I've read on here and hearing people talk where I worked, I've not watched telly for the best part of twenty year, other than the odd footy game, I have watched TV programmes, but they've been box sets, like the Wire and Breaking bad, I see snippets when I go into the kitchen, where the wife sits and watches her TV, but that's all crime shit, and that looks the same as it ever did, shite!
Right what you say though, I was always out doing stuff, even once I was married, I was never one for sitting holding hands watching crap, I'd be doing something, what grown men get out of soaps and love f***ing island is beyond me, I reckon somewhere along the road, someones had a piss in the gene pool.. ;)
I read a theory that with all these bewers on the pill they are all pissing oestrogen which is getting into the water system and responsible for men being so effeminate these days. It seems like a wild conspiracy theory until you picture men the length and breadth of the country glued to the box watching some dancing show or discussing Neighbours, and then think “Hmmmmmm ...”

Pubs for me go hand in hand with the industrial revolution, as we now live in a post industrhe Victoriial Britain, pubs are finished, the ones that survive will probably be absolute belters though

Or more like restaurants...
Or absolute dives....

There are very few traditional pubs that come to mind that survive purely on beer, and dont do food that aren't dives.
The Victoria in Durham is probably the only one I can think of that I get in regularly (when I'm home)

It’s an interesting point you make about the youth of today being more healthy.

The smoking ban has made a huge difference in lifestyle for many.
Thinking back to my days of late teens / early 20’s in comparison to today you can see lots of huge changes such as gyms , healthy eating , personal grooming etc.
All that sort of stuff that was pretty much unheard of when I was chucking back pint after pint in the Blue Bell most nights :lol:

It seems to be a bit of a switch, lasses putting timber on and getting bladdered whilst more lads are knocking it on the head, going to gym, grooming etc. Fairly common now to see a trim lad hand in hand with fat lass.
I read a theory that with all these bewers on the pill they are all pissing oestrogen which is getting into the water system and responsible for men being so effeminate these days. It seems like a wild conspiracy theory until you picture men the length and breadth of the country glued to the box watching some dancing show or discussing Neighbours, and then think “Hmmmmmm ...”

ffs LOL

Last edited:
If we charged less than £2 a pint our brewery would fold.

Well like I say the government will have to reduce taxation and similarly the real estater/rent costs because the situation is so dire your not going to have any outlets to sell it in anyway and you will fold for certain.

I think the decline of the pub has a good few reasons for it and all basically tie into the mix of the mindset of the population.

1. The smoking ban didn't help.

2. The price of a pint is extortionate, generally in pubs, or if it's sensible, it's generally sub standard.

3. Young people tend to work on a feast and a famine in their monthly incomes, choosing to have one week and week end blow out and 3 weeks/ weekends scraping the barrel, kiind of thing.

4. Many older people who generally did use the pubs, stay in with a wine or a few cans or even a bottle of gin/vodka or whatever and preferring to choose their going out periods in carveries or a meal with a few drinks and negating the pubs and such like.

5. the biggest issue. People appear to have forgotten how to interact, physically.
You see them sitting there glued to their phones and you're lucky to get a few hmmm's if you're lucky.

6. There's far too many nutters about who are more than willing to smash a glass in your face or actually stab you....etc....plus the media ramping it all up to create a sort of no go mindset on many people going to pubs.

Mix them all in and you end up with the scarcity we see today.

Obviously in my own opinion.

I think the decline of the pub has a good few reasons for it and all basically tie into the mix of the mindset of the population.

1. The smoking ban didn't help.

2. The price of a pint is extortionate, generally in pubs, or if it's sensible, it's generally sub standard.

3. Young people tend to work on a feast and a famine in their monthly incomes, choosing to have one week and week end blow out and 3 weeks/ weekends scraping the barrel, kiind of thing.

4. Many older people who generally did use the pubs, stay in with a wine or a few cans or even a bottle of gin/vodka or whatever and preferring to choose their going out periods in carveries or a meal with a few drinks and negating the pubs and such like.

5. the biggest issue. People appear to have forgotten how to interact, physically.
You see them sitting there glued to their phones and you're lucky to get a few hmmm's if you're lucky.

6. There's far too many nutters about who are more than willing to smash a glass in your face or actually stab you....etc....plus the media ramping it all up to create a sort of no go mindset on many people going to pubs.

Mix them all in and you end up with the scarcity we see today.

Obviously in my own opinion.
It’s the cost. Nothing else for me. Far too expensive to go out every week

:) :) They just get hammered in someones house man.

Aye but I bet that's just a weekend job, as opposed to blokes going to the local three or four times a week.

Don't think it can be disputed that young lads these days are more health/body conscious. Loads into the gym compared to back in the day. It's the lasses with the kites these days.

Aye but I bet that's just a weekend job, as opposed to blokes going to the local three or four times a week.

Don't think it can be disputed that young lads these days are more health/body conscious. Loads into the gym compared to back in the day. It's the lasses with the kites these days.

:) That's true like. Shocking.

It’s the cost. Nothing else for me. Far too expensive to go out every week

Few pints three or four times a week isn't going to break the bank. And that's what used to be the crack. Many don't seem to bother with midweek down the local anymore.

Id rather that than going my ends once a month.

Last edited:
I like pubs.

But I do think that politicians have a romanticised view of them at times. This nice image of people drinking foamy ale and banter between locals and a dog asleep by the fire.

There are pubs like that. But they can be few and far between. A blanket reduction in beer duty and business rates will be welcome, but the real benefactors would be the big chains like wetherspoons who could just offer beer even cheaper and pile more pressure on the village local.

Beer Tax is ridiculous anyway. Even in years where it doesnt go up by a penny, the pubs always have a 5p or 10p increase in January. A cut in beer duty I doubt woukd ever make it to the pump

Should be a maximum price for real ale if £3. Paid for by extra tax on lager, alcopops and spirits. Cut in corp Tac formoubs with open fires. :)

I live in an area that has 5 pubs within about a mile. Though in the same city my parents house doesn't have a pub within 2 or 3 mlies

I think anything they can do to keep open or open more pubs is a good thing

Back