The importance of pubs

dangermows

Striker
On the news this morning that the government are looking at substantial reforms to keep them open as they 'play a vital role' in society.

Half of regular slurpers made at least one new friend during a visit, according to studies. Those with a pub close by are also said to be happier, more trusting and better connected to their community.

A cut in beer tax in the next budget perhaps, and a reduction in business rates.

Haway the pubs.

I like pubs.

But I do think that politicians have a romanticised view of them at times. This nice image of people drinking foamy ale and banter between locals and a dog asleep by the fire.

There are pubs like that. But they can be few and far between. A blanket reduction in beer duty and business rates will be welcome, but the real benefactors would be the big chains like wetherspoons who could just offer beer even cheaper and pile more pressure on the village local.

Beer Tax is ridiculous anyway. Even in years where it doesnt go up by a penny, the pubs always have a 5p or 10p increase in January. A cut in beer duty I doubt woukd ever make it to the pump

On the news this morning that the government are looking at substantial reforms to keep them open as they 'play a vital role' in society.

Half of regular slurpers made at least one new friend during a visit, according to studies. Those with a pub close by are also said to be happier, more trusting and better connected to their community.

A cut in beer tax in the next budget perhaps, and a reduction in business rates.

Haway the pubs.

I watching a report the other day and they were practically blaming the next generation for not using them, the same generation who live at the hotel of mum and dad till their mid 20-30s, nowt to do with having to take a mortgage out just for a round of drinks.
If they want them to remain a cultural hub of Britishness, then government, breweries, landlords(real estate types) need to slash the costs to less than below £2a pint Simple, otherwise these brownfield sites are a far more attractive short term development, irrespective of the cultural raping.

I watching a report the other day and they were practically blaming the next generation for not using them, the same generation who live at the hotel of mum and dad till their mid 20-30s, nowt to do with having to take a mortgage out just for a round of drinks.
If they want them to remain a cultural hub of Britishness, then government, breweries, landlords(real estate types) need to slash the costs to less than below £2a pint Simple, otherwise these brownfield sites are a far more attractive short term development, irrespective of the cultural raping.

Fair points sir. Personally, whilst I do like the odd drink in the house, I'd prefer a few pints in a pub over getting a bag of cans in, even if it meant paying a few quid more. Saying that, im not that generation being blamed, who no doubt have it tough.

Smoking ban kicked off the decline although it would be beyond weird if they unbanned it! :lol:

Some on here have blamed it on blokes these days being 'fannies' and staying in a lot more to keep the missus' face straight.

Re: Smoking ban. Won't there be others who find pubs more appealing now as they don't have to suffer the effects of passive smoking or having to go home absolutely stinking? So one cancels out the other? Or is the conclusion most drinkers like a tab?

Last edited:

Haway the pubs.

Public houses formed a vital hub In developing societies, certainly in the upper northern hemisphere where winters are cold and long.

Society has changed now where we can sit in our o n home and interact with virtually anyone at any time of the day.

I do hope that something is done and pubs continue to feature in future generation’s social activities and not be relegated to a thing we used to do.

Some on here have blamed it on blokes these days being 'fannies' and staying in a lot more to keep the missus' face straight.

Re: Smoking ban. Won't there be others who find pubs more appealing now as they don't have to suffer the effects of passive smoking or having to go home absolutely stinking? So one cancels out the other? Or is the conclusion most drinkers like a tab?
That's a fair point
But what I think happened was that without the mask of fag smoke they realised how much the places stank! So then they spent loads doing it up and then when they reopen they try and make the money back from food and basically become a restaurant that also sells drink instead of a proper pub imo

Fuck all to do with prices imo, even at a fiver a pint you could get hammered for £50. Fuck all in the days of minimum wage.

That's a fair point
But what I think happened was that without the mask of fag smoke they realised how much the places stank! So then they spent loads doing it up and then when they reopen they try and make the money back from food and basically become a restaurant that also sells drink instead of a proper pub imo

Aye, not much of a of a pub that does bait (bar snacks excluded).
Fuck all to do with prices imo, even at a fiver a pint you could get hammered for £50. Fuck all in the days of minimum wage.

There's a few on here often cite the price as to why they go elsewhere mind. You get the "you can get 8 tins at Tesco" etc.

If its not prices, in your opinion, what is the reason for the decline? Young uns just simply more health aware?

Last edited:
Society has changed now where we can sit in our o n home and interact with virtually anyone at any time of the day.

And that is a very good point. Maybe pubs are suffering because of technology?

When I was younger, news (good or bad) was passed in the pub. You rang your mates and invited them out for a drink to tell them about your new job. Now you slap it on facebook and the world knows.

I used to watch a fair bit of football in pubs, now there are apps where you can watch the match at home or on the go. No need to go to the pub.

Even meeting men and women can be done online. Another reason people went to bars

Have a look around a pub. Even some of the people that are there are glued to their phones and sharing stuff that way.

Id never thought about it, but I think this probably killed off more pubs than any smoking ban

There's a few on here often cite the price as to why they go elsewhere mind. You get the "you can get 8 tins at Tesco" etc.

If its not prices, in your opinion, what is the reason for the decline? Young uns just simply more health aware?
Multiple reasons, as you mentioned more health conscious but also going out was a necessity for us if we wanted a crack at getting our dicks wet. Now they just swipe right.

If its not prices, in your opinion, what is the reason for the decline? Young uns just simply more health aware
Talking to my dad about this a few weeks ago, and he said that in the 1970s it cost as much to buy booze in the off license than it did in the pub. Increasing the cost of drink in supermarkets would therefor make sense, social drinking is undoubtably better for you than drinking alone.

Hear a lot of talk about the snowflake generation being more health conscious, but walk down any town/city centre of a weekend and its the young ones getting hammered. Probably paying twice as much for the privilege than they would at their local

Pubs are still fine in City centres, the licensing laws changed 2 years before the smoking ban and the local pubs were in a decline before that.
The younger generation stopped going to the local for that one or two drinks before the town as they opted to turn out late, that loss in trade is enough to destroy any local business.

Youngens turn out late, they don’t have that mentality of having a couple in the local before going down the town or wherever because they don’t need to as they get tanked up in the house first.

Go back to 2 am closing in clubs you would see a change but the damage is done for the local village pub.

Even afternoon sessions have turned into a city thing for the older generation which was rarely the case when I was young.

Friday nights used to be heaving once upon a time, that has certainly changed massively.

Fair points sir. Personally, whilst I do like the odd drink in the house, I'd prefer a few pints in a pub over getting a bag of cans in, even if it meant paying a few quid more. Saying that, im not that generation being blamed, who no doubt have it tough.

Likewise me as well unfortunately DM. We all like the pub who doesn’t but when you can get a 10 pack of Stella for the cost of a pint and a half then the writing is on the wall. Taxation mad Government and greedy real estate landlords are solely to blame not the kids.

Back