The Homeless

There's always some dotted around the city centre side of the bridge. I often wonder if they are only there for match days. Feel a bit guilty thinking that but then again I'm a cynical old git.

I don’t think those are genuine homeless people. They seem to be strategically placed at either end of the bridge and just sit there. Different faces every time.

I once gave a homeless guy a burger from McDonald’s and when I came back later he’d pissed off from his doorway and left behind a wrapper with a gherkin slice in it

In general, yes, you’d have a problem administering and funding a standardised education and health system if you weren’t a government.

Why would you be a illiterate? No state education system would be the main reason.

Really? So government educational systems are far better than a private one? Being dependent on a centralized government is far better than free choice? The only way to succeed in life is at the mercy of government policies?

Hard pass for me...

If government is so great, why is it that the people most dependent on it are hurt the worst? And the people least dependent on it seem much better off?

the government tends to be in charge of the education system (which is currently in a horrific state - surprise surprise) so yes.

Stop voting Tory.

Even if no one voted Tory there would still be loads of homeless people, always was and always will be. Nonsense argument.

Anyone else disturbed by the amount around the stadium nowadays. Saw a female one yesterday
There’s a few fake homeless people in the city centre, to be fair. When I come out of the train station on a night after getting back from work, there’s a group of them who spend the day in the tunnel next to Costa Coffee and you’ll see them get picked up by their mates at around six o clock with a change of clothes. I think they have a shift rotation or something.

I’m not even joking.

Really? So government educational systems are far better than a private one? Being dependent on a centralized government is far better than free choice? The only way to succeed in life is at the mercy of government policies?

Hard pass for me...

If government is so great, why is it that the people most dependent on it are hurt the worst? And the people least dependent on it seem much better off?

How many people do you know who would be able to afford private school fees if it weren’t for tax and NI? Alongside private healthcare, and not being able to drive to work because the roads are fucked?

There’s a few fake homeless people in the city centre, to be fair. When I come out of the train station on a night after getting back from work, there’s a group of them who spend the day in the tunnel next to Costa Coffee and you’ll see them get picked up by their mates at around six o clock with a change of clothes. I think they have a shift rotation or something.

I’m not even joking.
I know your not

Its a shame for the homeless that there are professional beggars. I saw a change of shift in Edinburgh.

Same thing in Peterborough, where a dog is handed over between shift-changing beggars around 2pm. Its strange that the city centre is only ever full of homeless beggars when its not raining - they seem to have somewhere else to be on those days.

if government is so great, why is it that the people most dependent on it are hurt the worst? And the people least dependent on it seem much better off?

It's like you live in a back to front world.

I heard hospitals make people sick, or do you think it's a coincidence that hospitals have a load of sick people in them?

Even if no one voted Tory there would still be loads of homeless people, always was and always will be. Nonsense argument.

No one's saying the problem would go away entirely. However having a left leaning majority in the HoC might get a few policies passed which helps alleviate the problem which is currently growing exponentially.

By your logic if the problem can't be solved completely then why bother trying in the first place. That's like saying if we can't sign Van Dijk let's just stick with these two idiots are centre half for good :lol:

How do you get richer by making people poorer...? How do you make people poorer?

It's called capitalism. All explained very well in "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists". It's about relative wealth and inequality. Even if incomes in general increase, if the incomes at the top increase be relatively more, then those at the bottom are relatively poorer. If, for those at the bottom, that increase is lower than the inflation rate they experience, then they are, in real terms, poorer.

I’ll defer to @West_Winger

Politicians like Mogg must be absolutely loving the fact that they’ve managed to convince people who rely on the welfare state or who are on low pay that he is their friend. He’s literally voted against them at every turn, and still they support him.

Voted in favour of scrapping the education maintenance allowance, voted in favour of the bedroom tax, voted in favour of cutting child tax credits, voted against increasing the time you can claim ESA to 730 days, voted against making cancer sufferers exempt from the 365 day limit on ESA, voted against making disabled child tax credit at least 2/3 of the higher rate, voted to cap welfare increases at 1% rather than in line with inflation, voted against investigating the effects of austerity on the poor, voted in favour of cuts to tax credits.....the list is endless.

And they still fall for his preposterous claims. £350m a week (false to begin with) which "could" be spent on the NHS (subtext - will be spent on tax cuts for my rich mates, but the fools don't realise that). All you need to know about Johnson is that he invented the straight banana story.

Last edited:
Tax avoidance and privatisation of public services for a start . And general everyday corruption. And lack of funding for social services . Basically all Tory ideology. Its f***ing evil man
So why didn't Blair n Brown who were in for yonks do owt to reverse things, you know, the men of the people?

I'm a cynic but it makes laugh walking over the bridge to see someone sitting outside in the freezing rain through winter with an underpass a few feet away. People would die every night in Sunderland if they didn't have a change of clothes and warm bed sitting in those conditions.

Back