The Hateful World of Dating

Status
Not open for further replies.

How did people ever meet before the internet and internet dating business was invented?

How did people ever meet before the internet and internet dating business was invented?
Meeting face to face and doing the 'wad / wadn't' thing. Now it's a f***ing tombola as to which decade the profile pic was taken or how flattering it is.

People had actual social lives and met after work, in the pub, in a nightclub, at college etc. Socially inept nerds stayed at home with their action men and didn't breed. It was natural selection at its best and you wonder now why the world is going to hell in a hand cart when there's no incentive to look after yourself physically and everything we do depends on the support of acne-faced obese geeks to make things work.

They used offline social media like the pubs or the local clubs and nightclubs. Now, sadly, gone forever.

That's what I'm getting at. The web is a wonderful thing,but people are over reliant on it in some respects. The whole online dating thing seems to bypass the whole meeting naturally experience;it seems like eBay,with humans as the commodity. Miss out on one,bid on another.

At least in the 'old days' it was possible to randomly meet people socially (and still is of course) who were single and didn't have about thirty people as other options online.
I realise for those who are housebound or incapacitated in some way it's a good thing,but broadening one's horizons and circle is better than online dating,and it's 'real'. How things have changed eh?

Long time since I've been in that situation. Are lots of nightclubs really closing down? I'm sure I read that somewhere-so why is it and what are people doing instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back