The #hashtag is 10 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/8/23/16188868/hashtag-cultural-influence-twitter-demthrones-rap

Unlike many of the internet’s most foundational moments, the birth of the hashtag was caught on record, when developer Chris Messina, then a product designer at Google, tweeted out the idea to stick a pound sign (#, or “hash” in Brit-speak) in front of a word on August 23, 2007

A decade later, Twitter users alone generate 125 million hashtags a day, not counting similar hashtags on Instagram, Tumblr, Facebook, and other social media sites.

Hand in hand with the rise of social media itself, the hashtag has helped completely alter the way we use the internet. It’s not just that now we can giggle, “Hashtag blessed!” after every Instagram selfie we take. It’s not just that a viral hashtag can sometimes be literally life-changing — see the #IceBucketChallenge. It’s not even just that the distinction between online hashtags and real-life activism has become negligible — see #ArabSpring, #BlackLivesMatter, #OscarsSoWhite, #HeForShe, #MAGA, and so many more examples of hashtags converging with real political discussion and action. This last feature alone makes the hashtag one of the greatest developments of the modern internet.

How did it go from poundtag to hashtag if the Yanks invented it?
we #imposedourmight

It's a brilliant tool for tracking market trends and such. My social media watching app has a couple of hundred set up, so my customers can respond instantly to movements in their industry

Last edited:
https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/8/23/16188868/hashtag-cultural-influence-twitter-demthrones-rap

Unlike many of the internet’s most foundational moments, the birth of the hashtag was caught on record, when developer Chris Messina, then a product designer at Google, tweeted out the idea to stick a pound sign (#, or “hash” in Brit-speak) in front of a word on August 23, 2007

A decade later, Twitter users alone generate 125 million hashtags a day, not counting similar hashtags on Instagram, Tumblr, Facebook, and other social media sites.

Hand in hand with the rise of social media itself, the hashtag has helped completely alter the way we use the internet. It’s not just that now we can giggle, “Hashtag blessed!” after every Instagram selfie we take. It’s not just that a viral hashtag can sometimes be literally life-changing — see the #IceBucketChallenge. It’s not even just that the distinction between online hashtags and real-life activism has become negligible — see #ArabSpring, #BlackLivesMatter, #OscarsSoWhite, #HeForShe, #MAGA, and so many more examples of hashtags converging with real political discussion and action. This last feature alone makes the hashtag one of the greatest developments of the modern internet.
My telephone today insisted on calling it the "square symbol" (wtf?) whilst I was trying to set up a conference call.

Mind you, I think Norton are Canadian rather than US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back