The Handmaid's tale

I saw this episode a few weeks ago and thought those scenes were complete bollocks. Deviations from the book to such an extent as to be deliberately extremist in it's anti-Christian rhetoric. No way would they dare put anything like that on TV depicting those scenes as a result of an Islamic takeover.

Deviation from the book? How? She wrote it in the mid 80s drawing on communism in the ussr (she wrote the book in West Berlin) and conservatism in the states.

I'm not even sure the religion is even christian. It might be, but most of the references are old testament.

I saw this episode a few weeks ago and thought those scenes were complete bollocks. Deviations from the book to such an extent as to be deliberately extremist in it's anti-Christian rhetoric. No way would they dare put anything like that on TV depicting those scenes as a result of an Islamic takeover.
It's a work of fiction, FFS.

Deviation from the book? How? She wrote it in the mid 80s drawing on communism in the ussr (she wrote the book in West Berlin) and conservatism in the states.

I'm not even sure the religion is even christian. It might be, but most of the references are old testament.
The book didn't include a hanging by crane (a favourite of Islamic countries that enforce death for homosexuality). And I'm sure there is a bible passage read out in (I think) the first episode maybe.

It's a work of fiction, FFS.
I'm aware FFS

So you don't remember what happened to the Jews* in the book?

* The non-rich/powerful Jews that is, of course.

That's what I was thinking. The religious/biblical references are mostly/all Old Testament. Anyway, Christianity has included such wonders as The Branch Davidian, The Lord's Resistance Army (and their child soldiers), Jim Jones and his mass suicide in Guyana etc. The obvious modern day comparison with the events in the book is the Islamic State and that's what makes the TV version particularly apposite.

That's what I was thinking. The religious/biblical references are mostly/all Old Testament. Anyway, Christianity has included such wonders as The Branch Davidian, The Lord's Resistance Army (and their child soldiers), Jim Jones and his mass suicide in Guyana etc. The obvious modern day comparison with the events in the book is the Islamic State and that's what makes the TV version particularly apposite.
It has also included such wonders of being the basis for the development of nearly every free and fair nation.

After further reading it was her concept of a totalitarian state much like communism but led by the puritanical fundamentalists they have in the us.

Its f***ing great tv whatevers happening

I suppose series two could cover her time travelling with the underground going from safe house to safe house, hiding in plain sight some of the time which could lead to her bumping into the commander again [well, the book mentions his fall from grace and trail so they could work that in], her capture, trial and torture, and new life in the colonies. Then they could also show them trying to cure Offred.

Back