The Handmaid's tale

Yes I know. I don't suppose they knew they had a second series when filming the first. It remains to be seen whether the writing keeps the high standard of this series. I certainly hope so.

Yes that was awful. However it was the female genital mutilation and the hanging of her lover that stick with me. I won't mention that the male mutilation seems worse to you - and the female one does for me! :lol:

I thought both those scenes were harrowing too, but the hand removal was pretty graphic

Yes I know. I don't suppose they knew they had a second series when filming the first. It remains to be seen whether the writing keeps the high standard of this series. I certainly hope so.

Yes that was awful. However it was the female genital mutilation and the hanging of her lover that stick with me. I won't mention that the male mutilation seems worse to you - and the female one does for me! :lol:

Episode 3 was the most disturbing imo.

Watched last 30 minutes last night, that's all I've seen if it, looks good.

I will add the caveat that THT is exactly what I like in a story, dark, dramatic dystopia ;)

To be fair, I do like that kind of thing too.

Still, in a year that saw the likes of The Crown and Stranger Things debut, it's got tough competition. Good first proper mainstream effort from Hulu though.

What do you think the best show of the year has been? Not trying to be a bell, just wondering if I've missed something good.

Stranger Things or The Crown for me. Forgot 11.22.63 was a Hulu show, enjoyed that too.

Last edited:
To be fair, I do like that kind of thing too.

Still, in a year that saw the likes of The Crown and Stranger Things debut, it's got tough competition. Good first proper mainstream effort from Hulu though.

Stranger Things or The Crown for me. Forgot 11.22.63 was a Hulu show, enjoyed that too.
Really? I have to say I preferred this to those 2 shows, although the crown was good and the writing excellent there was too much Churchill (on account if him being played by an American?) and Stranger Things dragged slightly in the middle for me. But yes, all about different opinions.

Been meaning to watch that, enjoyed the book.

I enjoyed it, but it deviates from the book a bit. Massive WAD in it too so well worth a watch.

Really? I have to say I preferred this to those 2 shows, although the crown was good and the writing excellent there was too much Churchill (on account if him being played by an American?) and Stranger Things dragged slightly in the middle for me. But yes, all about different opinions.

All good shows, as you say, all about opinions.

There's a few I haven't seen yet which are supposed to be good, TOTL2 and Ozark are supposed to be good. I really enjoyed 13 Reasons Why too, but it's probably for lasses so what do I know. Master of None S2 was superb. GLOW is supposed to be great but I haven't managed to get into it yet.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it, but it deviates from the book a bit. Massive WAD in it too so well worth a watch.

There's a few I haven't seen yet which are supposed to be good, TOTL2 and Ozark are supposed to be good. I really enjoyed 13 Reasons Why too, but it's probably for lasses so what do I know. Master of None S2 was superb. GLOW is supposed to be great but I haven't managed to get into it yet.

I adored that. Devoured it in a day - really powerful as well.

I've watched the first couple but it hasn't sucked me in yet.

Top of the Lake 2 I watched at the weekend and it's very good. And I gave up on TOTL 1. I watched Glow and thought it was okay. The main actress irritated me, but I suspect you may like it more than me! :lol: Currently undecided whether to continue with Ozark.

Back