The Great War In Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herberthall

Winger
Canny documentary on the 1st world war.

First 4 episodes on catch up, (Yesterday, SKY 537)

Watched all fower last neet.

The royals of Britain, Germany, Austria and Russia just didn't give a fk about human life.

30% Of men in Europe aged between 19 and 22 will be dead by the end of the war:eek:

Germany will spend the equivalent of 1 trillion dollars on the war, Britain 1.2 trillion, France 600 billion and the USA (who entered in 1917) 800 billion:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Edwin Star.

Canny documentary on the 1st world war.

First 4 episodes on catch up, (Yesterday, SKY 537)

Watched all fower last neet.

The royals of Britain, Germany, Austria and Russia just didn't give a fk about human life.

30% Of men in Europe aged between 19 and 22 will be dead by the end of the war:eek:

Germany will spend the equivalent of 1 trillion dollars on the war, Britain 1.2 trillion, France 600 billion and the USA (who entered in 1917) 800 billion:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Edwin Star.
That USA figure is large considering the didn't fight a battle until May 1918 .

That USA figure is large considering the didn't fight a battle until May 1918 .
And it’s true as well. They went from a regular force of about 40,000 men to about 6,000,000. Same as the Second World War where at the start of it I think they had 3 aircraft carriers by the end of the war they were building and launching almost 1 a week. Their solution has always been to hoy money at it.

Ive recently been watching world war one in colour, and that's similar and just the needless death and wasted lives is inconceivable

There's a fantastic podcast series about the First World War http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-50-blueprint-for-armageddon-i/ it's really detailed and there's about 6 3 hour episodes, but I got through it on my journeys to and from work in the car.

Incredible how much this war was a driver of technological advances and how cheaply lives were valued.

The most frightening part of that series is the Verdun bit in which he mentions the bunkers and how they continually swapped hands. Opening hatches and dropping grenades and bombs down onto hundreds of unexpectants, horrifying.

The one number that won't be given is the number of dollars made by the capitalists that financed all sides.
100 years later we still haven't rumbled them

The loss of life is bordering on beyond comprehension given it was 2 / 3 generations ago
Only watched to episode four and it`s really only as far up as 1916. Whats even more worrying is the even after the carnage of the Somme was how many more we still had to chuck at it. Out of a population of about 50 mill at the time it really is a wonder how comes many of us are here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back