The Great Resignation

We've had a flurry of resignations lately. I suspect that after working from home for 18 months people are either bored and are looking for a change or don't want to go back into the office.

Gone from a decent job to absolute drivel. Whole section I work in has been assigned every crap task for well over two years.

Didn't think I'd want to leave a very stable job (Civil Service), but I'm getting close.

Seems like certain employers are now desperate and are being forced into providing meaningful employment and good conditions - my 18yr old son has just started working for Amazon - he was lured into the job with a £1000 sign up fee paid to him in two parts over his first 90 days of employment. He also gets a £50 bonus just to turn up for work on time. Reckons the job is ok too - a far cry from what I would have expected hiding from articles I’ve read about Amazon in the past.

All very promising I’d say.

We’ve had a tonne of notices going in at work as well lately, very odd considering how well paid it is. Suppose money isn’t everything.

Someone at my workplace left after being there for 23 years and with no job to go to. I don’t really know him but he must have been seriously p***** off.

£5,000 worth of pay rises in 37 months of being here and another one being implemented in November's payday. Not bad on the face of it, but they've been totally unwilling to look at flexible working for staff (which for me I don't care about as I love being back in the office, but you'd expect in some situations they'd offer some sort of compromise).

I think the whole way of working is changing and most people will go off to companies that care about your work/life balance.

We’ve had a tonne of notices going in at work as well lately, very odd considering how well paid it is. Suppose money isn’t everything.
What industry is that?

We got told today we can have our birthday off as an additional day’s leave as of 2022. First in a series of measures designed to improve our t’s and c’s….I won’t hold my breath for a big payrise, mind. Construction/engineering firm.

Is this a real thing or just another conspiracy theory? People seem desperate for life to be thrilling and like a Hitchcock film but most people’s lives are dull and normal.

I definitely considered it. The department I work in has had a load of shite thrown at it throughout Covid and we’re still working through the backlog now. Had about 60 staff leave or change roles while the workload doubled. Hence now I’m doing probably triple what I was pre-pandemic.

They did some stuff during the lockdowns which was great, free canteen, triple time overtime available, remote working.

As we move out of it they’ve reverted to type.

Seems like certain employers are now desperate and are being forced into providing meaningful employment and good conditions - my 18yr old son has just started working for Amazon - he was lured into the job with a £1000 sign up fee paid to him in two parts over his first 90 days of employment. He also gets a £50 bonus just to turn up for work on time. Reckons the job is ok too - a far cry from what I would have expected hiding from articles I’ve read about Amazon in the past.

All very promising I’d say.
I’m at Amazon, and it’s-a great place to work, and we’re always getting pay rises, I’d recommend it to anyone looking to change.

Back