The Great North Run

Anyone think it'll go ahead this year? I'd love to think so but possibly at a vastly reduced capacity.
A few at my work have signed up with a charity. Think it’ll depend on the vaccine rollout and variants personally. Would be fantastic to see if go ahead both from a positivity perspective but also for the revenue charities have missed out on as a result of events such as the GNR not happening

It’ll not go ahead this year. I’ve had smaller runs cancelled for June and July.

Missed out on a LM place through the ballot and they’re really going to play on the virtual events from now on which is a shite idea IMO.

Last edited:
I hope it goes ahead.
They didn't do a ballot this year due to the number of places rolled over from last yr and charity place commitments. So hopefully the lower numbers will allow it.

Me and hubby are in the GNR and he has the VLM 3 weeks later and Silverstone half a week after that.

I've got a fun run booked for June and if its anything like last yr they will tell us its postponed and refuse to give a refund 6 days being the date again. (Personally hope its cancelled again as I cant make this yrs date 😡)

I do think they will make the most of virtual runs too and keep them on some form even when the actual events can go ahead without worries.

Bizarre comment with no basis in fact, designed just to worry people who enjoy this sort of thing. Stop talking nonsense.
Depends on the timeline.
People seem to get off on it. A really horrible behaviour thats come from this pandemic.
He's been realistic I'm afraid, this whole 'thing' goes one way or the other.
I do think they will make the most of virtual runs too and keep them on some form even when the actual events can go ahead without worries.
Can I ask what is a 'virtual run' is, never heard of this before.

Last edited:
Can I ask what is a 'virtual run' is, never heard of this before.

Signing up for a race eg: GNR when the actual event is cancelled.
Last GNR day we used an app to take part and upload our finish time. You just find a route local to you and run the distance (or a treadmill) For the GNR you had to start at either 9.30 or 1.30 but with many other virtual events its normally just within certain date.

This is for this year's London Marathon.

Last edited:
Signing up for a race eg: GNR when the actual event is cancelled.
Last GNR day we used an app to take part and upload our finish time. You just find a route local to you and run the distance (or a treadmill) For the GNR you had to start at either 9.30 or 1.30 but with many other virtual events its normally just within certain date.

This is for this year's London Marathon.
I think I understand, you stay local, do the run and upload it to find your inishing position.

There’s every basis. I do a lot of work on it. Absolutely no chance of it happening

You're a liar

I'm not disputing 2021 may not happen. I'm disputing your comment that the GNR is "finished"

You said

No chance. It’ll be cancelled. Runs like that are finished

Last edited:

Back