The Great House Giveaway (C4 4pm)

Anyone watching this programme ? (started Monday 5th October) a couple of things bother me about it....

1) Simon O'Brien's eye (Damon from Brookie, host of "Find it, fix it, flog it) not sure what's up with it, but I hope he's had it checked out by a professional eye checker outer as it's worrying me. I think it's a different colour to the other one but it has a weird looking glint to it (god I hope it's not glass or I'll feel like a right twat).
Logon or register to see this image

2) The pairing of normally "2 strangers" who quite often fall out and the bloody house doesn't get finished within the 6 months.

The aim of the show is that Simon (his TV backers) give you a choice of bidding on 3 properties at auction, they purchase the property for you and you have a budget to do it up (anywhere between about £8-£20k) you then have to do it up and get it on the market with a view to selling it before the 6 months is up (otherwise it goes back to auction). Whatever profit is made gets split between the 2 people (even if 1 has flounced off in a huff).

Todays pairing missed out on any of the 3 auction properties, so Simon bought one for £130k (which once checked by a surveyor was found to be unmortgageable due to a 1 brick thickness to the wall when it should be 2) - gave them £20k ish to do it up, they fell out, the bloke couldn't get time to help out, the lass got pregnant and went on holiday, the house didn't get finished and it ended up going back to auction and selling for £120k :confused:, the total loss was £53k :eek::lol:.

It gets me canny angry like, it's a shame as I have seen a few of the pairings work well together, get it finished, get it sold and come away with around £20k each. But recently they've pretty much all had a nightmare and fucked it up big time.

Simon O’Brien Eye Injury
Simon sustained an eye injury after an accident that led to having an operation. He has not talked much about the incidence and wears an eye patch to limit light and prevent further damage.

He has two different eye colors, one green eye and one blue eye. His eye sight is normal he just had an accident n protected his eye with a patch. The difference in colour can make his eyes look different from each other.

Simon O’Brien Eye Injury
Simon sustained an eye injury after an accident that led to having an operation. He has not talked much about the incidence and wears an eye patch to limit light and prevent further damage.

He has two different eye colors, one green eye and one blue eye. His eye sight is normal he just had an accident n protected his eye with a patch. The difference in colour can make his eyes look different from each other.
Ahhh right, thanks Nookie - I hadn't heard about that and was worried it was something more sinister xx

Anyone watching this programme ? (started Monday 5th October) a couple of things bother me about it....

1) Simon O'Brien's eye (Damon from Brookie, host of "Find it, fix it, flog it) not sure what's up with it, but I hope he's had it checked out by a professional eye checker outer as it's worrying me. I think it's a different colour to the other one but it has a weird looking glint to it (god I hope it's not glass or I'll feel like a right twat).
Logon or register to see this image

2) The pairing of normally "2 strangers" who quite often fall out and the bloody house doesn't get finished within the 6 months.

The aim of the show is that Simon (his TV backers) give you a choice of bidding on 3 properties at auction, they purchase the property for you and you have a budget to do it up (anywhere between about £8-£20k) you then have to do it up and get it on the market with a view to selling it before the 6 months is up (otherwise it goes back to auction). Whatever profit is made gets split between the 2 people (even if 1 has flounced off in a huff).

Todays pairing missed out on any of the 3 auction properties, so Simon bought one for £130k (which once checked by a surveyor was found to be unmortgageable due to a 1 brick thickness to the wall when it should be 2) - gave them £20k ish to do it up, they fell out, the bloke couldn't get time to help out, the lass got pregnant and went on holiday, the house didn't get finished and it ended up going back to auction and selling for £120k :confused:, the total loss was £53k :eek::lol:.

It gets me canny angry like, it's a shame as I have seen a few of the pairings work well together, get it finished, get it sold and come away with around £20k each. But recently they've pretty much all had a nightmare and fucked it up big time.

I've been watching this series, it's a refreshing difference to the usual property programmes.

Just tuned into the episode to which you alluded. An absolute car crash of a partnership that one :lol:

One thing that I can't get my head around, are the taxes and fees that are listed! In the episode above, £21k of fees were aligned to a purchase of £130k, and in the last episode, £10k of fees against a £50k purchase. I understand that auctions will attract extra fees, but that much?? I must be missing something.

I've been watching this series, it's a refreshing difference to the usual property programmes.

Just tuned into the episode to which you alluded. An absolute car crash of a partnership that one :lol:

One thing that I can't get my head around, are the taxes and fees that are listed! In the episode above, £21k of fees were aligned to a purchase of £130k, and in the last episode, £10k of fees against a £50k purchase. I understand that auctions will attract extra fees, but that much?? I must be missing something.
An auction house we used in my old job charged the buyer £6k fees, so they can be high aye. It was nice to see the pairing today make some money (£11k each is not to be sniffed at), but many pairings boil my piss - especially yesterday when they basically just gave up after blowing the budget on things they could have done themselves.
The one where they bought the Chapel the other day was a joke, 6 months to do that - they should have had longer and a bigger budget !

An auction house we used in my old job charged the buyer £6k fees, so they can be high aye. It was nice to see the pairing today make some money (£11k each is not to be sniffed at), but many pairings boil my piss - especially yesterday when they basically just gave up after blowing the budget on things they could have done themselves.
The one where they bought the Chapel the other day was a joke, 6 months to do that - they should have had longer and a bigger budget !
Only just got up to the episode that you op'd with, but thanks for the spoilers :lol: ;)

Thought When she first appeared today...mini skirt knee length boots..that she would be frightened to get her hands dirty but fair play to her she knuckled down and got on with it...unlike some ...as you say the pair yesterday were just gave up and they were gutted they didn’t get anything out of if when it sold for a loss...

CGT probably.

Simon O’Brien Eye Injury

Quite apt.
Nookie bear talking about someone with a bong eye

Only just got up to the episode that you op'd with, but thanks for the spoilers :lol: ;)
Ahhh crap, I'm so sorry :neutral:
Thought When she first appeared today...mini skirt knee length boots..that she would be frightened to get her hands dirty but fair play to her she knuckled down and got on with it...unlike some ...as you say the pair yesterday were just gave up and they were gutted they didn’t get anything out of if when it sold for a loss...
I don't know what happened to those two, just seemed really odd - like their hearts were never in it at all !

Ahhh crap, I'm so sorry :neutral:
Forgiven :lol:

I've had a couple of beers whilst watching, so I'll forget by the time I get to those episodes.
I'll skip episodes and tune into that one :)

Last edited:
He was a plumber yesterday but the plumbing never got done,they didn’t even get a boiler...
Six months isn’t that long if youve got a full time job to do as well....
I know, but I guess if you're given a great opportunity to make some money (potentially enough for a deposit) that you would embrace it and do your best (and consider the implications before signing up etc).

You’re perhaps missing that they are paying fees for buying plus paying fees associated with selling. Maybe.

I’ve watched all of them. Sometimes f***ing frustrating when people make an arse of themselves- and the job. With somebody else’s money. Other times gutted for people who’ve worked hard and it doesn’t work out.

The programme seems to be about how much the couples will get on each other’s tits at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume Capital Gains Tax?

For the most part, the episodes I've seen so far anyway, there's marginal profit in these projects, and sometimes none at all. Despite that, the taxes and fees feature heavily in the P&L at the end of the programme.
Aye. What they should do is live in it when they’re doing it up. If you live in a house for 6 months before selling, no extra tax to pay.

You’re perhaps missing that they are paying fees for buying plus paying fees associated with selling. Maybe.

I’ve watched all of them. Sometimes f***ing frustrating when people make an arse of themselves- and the job. With somebody else’s money. Other times gutted for people who’ve worked hard and it doesn’t work out.

The programme seems to be about how much the couples will get on each other’s tits at times.
Sometimes they really don't get on at all, if they're twats I sit there hoping they don't make a profit !
I assume Capital Gains Tax?

For the most part, the episodes I've seen so far anyway, there's marginal profit in these projects, and sometimes none at all. Despite that, the taxes and fees feature heavily in the P&L at the end of the programme.
There's one episode that really pissed me off for the 2 folks doing the house - in Liverpool iirc, one bloke a teacher and the woman worked in property. All I can say is they got a nice friendship out of it.

Last edited:
Sometimes they really don't get on at all, if they're twats I sit there hoping they don't make a profit !

There's one episode that really pissed me off for the 2 folks doing the house - in Liverpool iirc, one bloke a teacher and the woman worked in property. All I can say is they got a nice friendship out of it.

Just watched episode 8, just realised how far behind I am :lol:

Both parties celebrating like hell and cracking open champagne, after having learned that they'd yielded something like £16k each. However, when the closing credits approach, Simon nonchalantly pipes up and announces that the sale fell through, and a much reduced shit offer was accepted and they copped for £6k each, absolutely gutting. Better than nowt, but look what you cudda won!

Just watched episode 8, just realised how far behind I am :lol:

Both parties celebrating like hell and cracking open champagne, after having learned that they'd yielded something like £16k each. However, when the closing credits approach, Simon nonchalantly pipes up and announces that the sale fell through, and a much reduced shit offer was accepted and they copped for £6k each, absolutely gutting. Better than nowt, but look what you cudda won!
Aye that was odd, the sale fell through as the buyer pulled out at the death - it was a lovely dorma bungalow iirc ? still better than a £50k + loss ;):lol:
Is this the channel 4 version of homes under the hammer? Probably with a transvestite and a badger in a wheelchair as presenters because they are ‘different.
Not really no, it's a good show but can piss you off if the random pairing a) doesn't get on, b) 1 of them doesn't pull their weight, c) They didn't get a house at auction so Simon muscles in and buys them summat else (normally at a market value price) :lol:.
It's worth a watch, it's an interesting show tbh.

Last edited:

Back