The Great Diesel Rip Off

Guy at work was getting red diesel from someone or other at 28p a gallon at one point. He was an interesting guy. He was incredibly insistent that his wife only communicate with him via the medium of mine. If she didn’t, she was in for it. He refused to use snow to build snowmen, instead preferring minced lamb. He invented his own board game involving a blow up sex doll, rats blood, four fray Benitos pies and a picture of Angela Merkel juggling six tea pots.

Guy at work was getting red diesel from someone or other at 28p a gallon at one point. He was an interesting guy. He was incredibly insistent that his wife only communicate with him via the medium of mine. If she didn’t, she was in for it. He refused to use snow to build snowmen, instead preferring minced lamb. He invented his own board game involving a blow up sex doll, rats blood, four fray Benitos pies and a picture of Angela Merkel juggling six tea pots.

What the fuck have I just read :lol:

Rumoured that Hammond is going to introduce inflation based increases on fuel duty in the budget in November ....

Read if he does that it'll add 8p per litre.

If so I can see the petrol blockades returning.

On the other hand, if they hammer diesels there's gonna be some cracking bargains for decent cars about as people panic and dump them:lol:

The tax element is really high like, I’m sure it’s sixty odd pence a litre, pretty much 50%.

In real terms though fuel is pretty cheap these days, plenty of cars will do 60mpg, 20 years ago you’d be happy with 30mpg. So although cost per litre is high, you use a lot less.

I was reminiscing, only last week about my first car which did approx 100 miles to a tenner. Back then it was around 75p a litre, so as the mpg has improved, the fuel cost has gone up inversely proportionally.

I was reminiscing, only last week about my first car which did approx 100 miles to a tenner. Back then it was around 75p a litre, so as the mpg has improved, the fuel cost has gone up inversely proportionally.
As it always will, it's all about the tax take, as cars become cleaner (less road tax) and more economical the exchequer has to keep the money rolling in so demonising diesel drivers is an easy target to start with by jacking those prices up

A 60mpg diesel at 6 quid a gallon is a hundred miles to a tenner ;)

A litre of Diesel is the same price as a litre of Evian water. Stop moaning.

It’s a quid for 2L of Evian at Tesco but I get your general point

Last edited:
Just filled up and there is an 11p differential between diesel and unleaded. Thought demand for diesel had plumetted with there being no demand due to sales of diesel cars going through the floor. Surely the unleaded should be more expensive or is this just another case of rip off Britain?
If there's less demand price will go up

Diesel should be more expensive, the particles go significantly deeper into our lungs than petrol, and that includes clean diesel.

I fully accept I’m biased on this as my lungs are damaged and when I run in a built up area you wonder if it’s actually doing any good. Living by the sea has its advantages but some cities have a real problem.
Get old buses off the road and they are emission exempt

£1.50 at an Esso garage. :p

Seriously though, with all the work that goes into getting diesel out of the ground and into your car I think £1 a litre is a fantastic price.

It’s about 1.30 a litre for diesel but if you back out 60p of tax it’s 70p a litre. Evian is a quid for two litres but to be fair, if everyone bought 50 litres of Evian a week it would probably be 10p a litre. Massive economies of scale with oil refineries and distribution.

Binned my diesel for a petrol. London bringing in ultra low emission zone which I'll fall under with no exemptions. 8 quid a day or something.

Hope they ban the filthy black cabs

Treasure island, that's what car dealers call the UK, I'm sure it's the case for the fuel company's too, we've had the piss ripped out of us for years.

£1.50 at an Esso garage. :p

Seriously though, with all the work that goes into getting diesel out of the ground and into your car I think £1 a litre is a fantastic price.

I always thought there was less work and the diesel came out before petrol when they cracked crude oil?
It's priced to suit agenda's imo.

Back