The Grand Tour

I almost gave up on this after the first few episodes of this series, but it's picked up in the most recent four.

Ep 7 had an execrable feature in which Hammond & May tried to develop a mobile refueling system, but ended with a brilliant piece on the Audi-Lancia rivalry in rallying. It was up there with Top Gear at its best.

Ep 8 centred on a decent roadtrip in France.

Ep 9 was patchily good, focusing on an attempt to break the amphibious speed record on Coniston Water.

Ep 10 ended with a genuinely funny SUV race in the wilds of Canada (though having Paris Hilton on as a guest suggests some scraping of the barrel this series).

The Mozambique roadtrip is coming up. Hope it's better than the Namibian roadtrip last year.
The Audi-Lancia bit was one of the very best bits of the show. It would be good if they could do more things like that. I think the problem the show has is it's free of the scrutiny it came under when on the BBC, so instead of pushing the limits, they try too hard sometimes.

Are the BBC still trying to convince themselves the show will be a success regardless of who is presenting?

They stopped being funny years ago. Just too far up their own arses now.

This. Last few series of their Top Gear was the same tbh , had stopped being funny some time ago , although some of the road tests they did (the main thing a Car Show should be about imho) were brilliantly shot and quality. I dont have Netflix so have only seen 1 Episode of TGT and that was enough for me.

Ep 7 had an execrable feature in which Hammond & May tried to develop a mobile refueling system, but ended with a brilliant piece on the Audi-Lancia rivalry in rallying. It was up there with Top Gear at its best.
Been catching up with the last few episodes, that Audi v Lancia bit was top notch.

It's something to watch for a bit, don't know why some get so wound up about it. It's not even on mainstream TV now so it's not like it's taking the slot Songs of Praise could be in.

The Audi-Lancia bit was one of the very best bits of the show. It would be good if they could do more things like that. I think the problem the show has is it's free of the scrutiny it came under when on the BBC, so instead of pushing the limits, they try too hard sometimes.

Are the BBC still trying to convince themselves the show will be a success regardless of who is presenting?
That last series of TG without Evans was pretty good, think they found a better balance between the presenters and the daft/factual stuff.

Last edited:
This series has been very good mind.
Since they binned the shite guest bit for this series it couldn't help but be better. However, that hasn't been the only improvement. There has been something great on nearly every episode and some of the feature parts have been outstanding, the Jim Clarke one was brilliant.

It has been very good.

If Top Gear was an animal then it would be put down.

Christ knows the level of banter that will be on it when ‘Freddie’ takes over.

Back