The Grand Tour

Couldn’t get past the opening segment of the first episode. Top Gear was always scripted but it came across as relatively natural. This time it’s so badly done, I found it unwatchable.
First episode of the first series? I thought that was class, brilliantly done. For me top gear/grande tour has never made any apologies for what it is, three blokes doing something they love having a laugh doing it...fair play to them.

I think it's improved. It seems like the BBC can't make the format work without them so they're allowing them to pinch bits from it.

I almost gave up on this after the first few episodes of this series, but it's picked up in the most recent four.

Ep 7 had an execrable feature in which Hammond & May tried to develop a mobile refueling system, but ended with a brilliant piece on the Audi-Lancia rivalry in rallying. It was up there with Top Gear at its best.

Ep 8 centred on a decent roadtrip in France.

Ep 9 was patchily good, focusing on an attempt to break the amphibious speed record on Coniston Water.

Ep 10 ended with a genuinely funny SUV race in the wilds of Canada (though having Paris Hilton on as a guest suggests some scraping of the barrel this series).

The Mozambique roadtrip is coming up. Hope it's better than the Namibian roadtrip last year.

It’s been alright - better than the unwatchable first series anyway. The main segments are decent and I can forward through the rest of it (which remains awful). Not a patch on the last Top Gear though. Monkey Harris is comfortably better than any of those daft old farts (and an infinitely better driver too).

Back