The Good Causes Thread

I've got to admit I don't often give to charity . My reasoning has always been that if we accept it as an informal tax the government will just do less and less social project.
I tend to give to direct crowd funds more .
At this point I may have to start giving as it's academic to these Tory twats , no one's starvation or poverty will oblige them to care .
I agree that some things should be statutorily funded and thus not need charity but there are plenty of good causes that would never get stat funding. I donate 2% of my salary to a different charity each year, usually those that rely on donations rather than the big nationals or local authority funded organisations.

I've got to admit I don't often give to charity . My reasoning has always been that if we accept it as an informal tax the government will just do less and less social project.
I tend to give to direct crowd funds more .
At this point I may have to start giving as it's academic to these Tory twats , no one's starvation or poverty will oblige them to care .
I'm generally of the opinion that this country shouldn't need charity. I would happily give to a charity that supported causes in third word countries, but not a charity like children in need that only supports UK causes.
The salaries of charity CEOs put me off donating to the popular charities. I'm not comfortable with a charity CEO being on a six figure salary while the front of house workers are mostly volunteers. Now I only give to the dogs trust which I have linked to my eBay account.
My wife collects food which she buys extra on top of her normal shopping then gives it to a local food bank. I think direct donations like food rather than money are a better idea. At least nobody is creaming anything off a donation like that.

I agree that some things should be statutorily funded and thus not need charity but there are plenty of good causes that would never get stat funding. I donate 2% of my salary to a different charity each year, usually those that rely on donations rather than the big nationals or local authority funded organisations.
Yes there are things that will not be funded but in my opinion they should not be things that support basic human wellbeing like housing, mental health, children's wellbeing , domestic violence refuges .
Charity should be for kids football teams , scout huts and animals .
I like the idea on another thread of someone like Rashford coordinating an alternative people's response. It would then be evident what the goverenment were keeping back and they could account for it at the next election .
Anonymous general giving will just let them off the hook but of course it would be ludicrous to judge anyone for giving to a food bank in present circumstances.

Yes there are things that will not be funded but in my opinion they should not be things that support basic human wellbeing like housing, mental health, children's wellbeing , domestic violence refuges .
Charity should be for kids football teams , scout huts and animals .
I like the idea on another thread of someone like Rashford coordinating an alternative people's response. It would then be evident what the goverenment were keeping back and they could account for it at the next election .
Anonymous general giving will just let them off the hook but of course it would be ludicrous to judge anyone for giving to a food bank in present circumstances.
I don’t disagree but many of the things you mentioned would be much the poorer but for third sector involvement because they do it cheaper and better than the state.

I don’t disagree but many of the things you mentioned would be much the poorer but for third sector involvement because they do it cheaper and better than the state.
No issue with that . Just that the state should provide the money not individuals out of post tax income...but I also do think there is no reason that properly funded state services shouldn't compete when they're not paired down to basic function.

I'm generally of the opinion that this country shouldn't need charity. I would happily give to a charity that supported causes in third word countries, but not a charity like children in need that only supports UK causes.
The salaries of charity CEOs put me off donating to the popular charities. I'm not comfortable with a charity CEO being on a six figure salary while the front of house workers are mostly volunteers. Now I only give to the dogs trust which I have linked to my eBay account.
My wife collects food which she buys extra on top of her normal shopping then gives it to a local food bank. I think direct donations like food rather than money are a better idea. At least nobody is creaming anything off a donation like that.
ink ow what you mean. The fact that Great Ormond Street is a charity really makes me angry. Why does the best children’s hospital in the world need charitable donations? Hospices are the same.

Free Christmas dinner hampers for those in need this year or you can register to donate a hamper.

Back