RR The FIVE biggest missed opportunities in the long and storied history of Sunderland AFC

Oxford wanted £100,000 , we offered £70,000 and eventually Liverpool came in and paid the asking price. The rest is history.
A massive balls up as Ashurst wanted him.
Ashurst wanted him before he went to Oxford as he'd had him at Newport. Ashursts brother was his manager in a scouse pub team.

Reyna was a failure?

I thought he was class, myself.
Serious flop. Avoided playing as to not get injured before US games as well.

Not signing Koeller or Ortega.....or Scholes....or any other class players we turned down at the time...
Ortega was publicity for Balls testimonial man. Twas common knowledge even at the time

obviously not signing maradona when he practically begged to join us as a young’un must rank up there too:)
He was lined up for Sheffield Utd not us. Don't believe half of the crap people on here come out with and you won't go far wrong.

Last edited:

Getting beat off Millwall in fa cup sf.
Wuda had euro footy if we'd beaten them ffs:oops:.
Mcateer you twat.

This Alan Durban myth is mystifying to me like.
It wasnt pretty to watch at the time but you could see he was starting to build something. I was gutted when he left, he could spot young talent better than Saville and Hall combined. Ashurst came in and made a complete bollocks of it.

It wasnt pretty to watch at the time but you could see he was starting to build something. I was gutted when he left, he could spot young talent better than Saville and Hall combined. Ashurst came in and made a complete bollocks of it.

We were heading for relegation as normal when he was sacked in March 84 following a 2-1 defeat at Man Utd.
We signed Lee Chapman and had no winger to supply him.
I think he (Durbs) was overrated, but if others choose to big him up that's fine by me. Each one to their own.

We were heading for relegation as normal when he was sacked in March 84 following a 2-1 defeat at Man Utd.
We signed Lee Chapman and had no winger to supply him.
I think he (Durbs) was overrated, but if others choose to big him up that's fine by me. Each one to their own.
He tried to sign Chamberlain, Johnston and Laudrup. Cowie wouldnt give him the wonga. This was when they were young and cheap. Pretty decent wingers. Same with Aldridge, McCoist, Chapman, Bracewell. He could spot young talent.
But like you say, each to their own opinion.

This, end of.

I heard from the mouth of one of the directors who met Clough at Scotch Corner that Clough was demanding total control over every aspect of the club's management. Not just football, but commerce as well. That was considered unacceptable so it never happened.

Understandable I suppose.

I heard from the mouth of one of the directors who met Clough at Scotch Corner that Clough was demanding total control over every aspect of the club's management. Not just football, but commerce as well. That was considered unacceptable so it never happened.

Understandable I suppose.

He might have been caught with brown paper takeaway bags by the side of the road, the chairman always held the loaded pistol though, so held him on the lead Ultimately!!! European glories, cups and ground redevelopment. I like to think I would have had the balls/stupidity to let him loose at my club, especially with his obvious affection and stature at the place it meant something to him personally. I would have gladly turned a blind eye. Can you imagine the chaos and how funny it would have been as well for him.. Travesty in hindsight.

This 'missed opportunities' is mainly about managers/signings etc but there's also the players we already had angle.

For example, if a young Gazza Breeds (RIP) had stayed on the straight and narrow and made it into the first team at SAFC he could have been a bloody revelation...

Can you imagine him and Kieron Brady - if he'd also stayed on the straight and narrow (albeit a slightly different s&n) - in the same team by the start of the 90s?

On the playing side, if not 'missed opportunities' then I reckon those two just might be our two biggest 'what might have beens' ...

Back