War on drugs
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Low
LCD Soundsystem
Moon Duo

2 all time favourites of mine who I don’t think have been mentioned

chic
Suicide

Sonic Youth Galaxie 500 Butthole Surfers Pavement Modest Mouse Nirvana REM Beastie Boys Pere Ubu Patti Smith... etc where does one start

I'd say one of the first LA punk bands. The NYC punk scene was pretty widely known about and heard by 1980. The male singer John Doe has had a fairly substantial solo career since. He's very much alt-country/roots rock nowadays.
Fair point. I tend to think of that NY CBGBs scene as something slightly different to 'punk'. X seemed to be one of the first in the US to refer back to the UK 'template'.

I should have mentioned Low, but happy to see someone else did. For some reason I often think of them as being Canadian. They've made loads of great records. Dinosaur Jr would be another band on my shortlist.

The best band you've never heard of.

Stick some headphones on, turn your volume up, close your eyes, and thank us later.

Tool - Lateralus (full album) - YouTube
I did. Thanks for the heads-up. Not up my alley at all being a Blues/Rock/Jazz fan/singer all my life, but by any standards that is good stuff: thoughtful, melodic and evocative, and their multi-media stuff is excellent. That first track is a banger too!

I did. Thanks for the heads-up. Not up my alley at all being a Blues/Rock/Jazz fan/singer all my life, but by any standards that is good stuff: thoughtful, melodic and evocative, and their multi-media stuff is excellent. That first track is a banger too!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Back