The FIFA Women's World Cup 2019: Haway the Lasses

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

Will we be getting the usual ‘it’s coming home’ shyte that we get every two years which always ends in me laughing ma tits off?

Who’ll bite first
It’s a quandry for the game in general though. It needs the publicity that WCs bring but not that nonsense going to their heads. Glad they lost at the weekend tbh.

Last edited:
It’s a quandry for the game in general though. It needs the publicity that WCs bring but not that nonsense going to their heads. Glad they lost at the weekend tbh.

aren’t they one of the favourites?
I have no idea other than I know we play England first and the Scottish lasses have been in decent form pre tournament but are nowhere near the level of england

Slightly off topic but my son asked me a question after watching the

England "lionesses" play football, the
England "red roses" play rugby at the weekend.

Why do we give lasses teams daft names?

The male footy team isn't the "England lions" and the rugby team isn't the "roses", they are both just England, so why do we do it for lasses sports.

To be honest I couldn't answer.

Gives them a separate identity I suppose. Pros and cons.

A personal niggle is I'd like us to have our own songs and not sing 'it's coming home'.

I remember that game, Canada were robbed & it did look like the ref was influenced by the US players. The free kick for the 6 second rule was a joke
The standard of reffing is awful and I don't understand why we have to have female refs, just get the best in the world male or female it's the World Cup after all.

Expect me to twist a lot about this over coming weeks but I've seen refs ruin tournaments.

Last edited by a moderator:

A personal niggle is I'd like us to have our own songs and not sing 'it's coming home'.

The standard of reffing is awful and I don't understand why we have to have female refs, just get the best in the world male or female it's the World Cup after all.

Expect me to twist a lot about this over coming weeks but I've seen refs ruin tournaments.

Will they use VAR?

Beth Mead to score goal of the tournament from 35+ yards out.

The main objective at the moment in women's football is growth and development - which extends to every aspect, not just the playing side. Female referees aren't going to get any better if they don't experience refereeing at the highest level of women's football. In effect, it is making a short term sacrifice for a long term gain.

The main objective at the moment in women's football is growth and development - which extends to every aspect, not just the playing side. Female referees aren't going to get any better if they don't experience refereeing at the highest level of women's football. In effect, it is making a short term sacrifice for a long term gain.
I take issue with your first sentence. The World Cup is not a development opportunity for the players, it’s a highly skilled, highly competitive tournament with teams consisting of many professionals who are fully supported and backed by their clubs and countries. It’s unfair on them to have their dreams blown by poor quality refereeing. England and many others are not going into this thinking “this is all about growth and development”, they’re going into it to win it. We passed that “it’s all about growth and development” moment as far as the players are concerned in many countries about 6-10 years ago.

I take issue with your first sentence. The World Cup is not a development opportunity for the players, it’s a highly skilled, highly competitive tournament with teams consisting of many professionals who are fully supported and backed by their clubs and countries. It’s unfair on them to have their dreams blown by poor quality refereeing. England and many others are not going into this thinking “this is all about growth and development”, they’re going into it to win it. We passed that “it’s all about growth and development” moment as far as the players are concerned in many countries about 6-10 years ago.

You can take issue all you want but I’m not telling you what my objective for women’s football is or would be. I’m telling you what the authorities’ who run the game currently prioritise. And it’s growth and development at every level, including refereeing.

aren’t they one of the favourites?
I have no idea other than I know we play England first and the Scottish lasses have been in decent form pre tournament but are nowhere near the level of england
Top 6. But not as good as the ingerlish press have been banging on about.
Think terry, lampard, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Beckham, Colex2 era ingerland and their golden generation sense of entitlement as being the trap these lasses don’t want to fall into.

You can take issue all you want but I’m not telling you what my objective for women’s football is or would be. I’m telling you what the authorities’ who run the game currently prioritise. And it’s growth and development at every level, including refereeing.
We have different understandings of what the authorities running the game currently prioritise.

I don't know why but the Woman's game does nothing for me, maybe a little sexism on my part!!?? but saying that, at the Olympics I got right into the Woman's hockey, so I don't know. I can just never get into it.

Back