The FIFA Women's World Cup 2019: Haway the Lasses

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

The U.S. women are more popular, successful and revenue generating than the men. How anyone could argue they shouldn’t be paid the same, or more, is utterly beyond me.

No they don't. You create wealth by doing work, manufacturing something, adding value to basic resources, or by providing a tangible service to somebody, such as improving their health. Nobody's going to give a shit about anything these people do in 50 years.

Are you sure you're an economist? Where do you think the idea of wealth comes from?

:lol:

The U.S. women are more popular, successful and revenue generating than the men. How anyone could argue they shouldn’t be paid the same, or more, is utterly beyond me.

How do you know the US women are paid less than the US men?

Last edited:
Due to a highly publicised class action lawsuit by U.S. women soccer players against the U.S. Soccer Federation?

The US women have a centralised contracts, the men do not. If they are willing to give up centralised contracts then I agree they should get the same, however they want to get paid the same and retain centralised contracts.

Sorry to interject (and no point scoring intended here) but as a very limited illustration as to what I think you’re discussing, I only missed two SAFC games last season, I watch football on the telly pretty much regardless of who is on (there is a pecking order) and I’m constantly on here looking for info like today regarding our potential signing, I watch sky sport and match of the day plus the EFL on Quest.
I didn’t watch one second of the recent Women’s World Cup.

You missed this.

Yeah they do...

How much does the men’s national team make?

The lawsuit they filed is about equal pay for the members of the national teams in the service of the national teams. In particular was the issue of the men earning more for a loss than women do for a win.

The US men's team makes no more revenue than the women's, have never advanced beyond a quarter final, and has lower viewing figures.

You mean you've been going on about this issue without even knowing the basic facts of what it's about?

Sorry to interject (and no point scoring intended here) but as a very limited illustration as to what I think you’re discussing, I only missed two SAFC games last season, I watch football on the telly pretty much regardless of who is on (there is a pecking order) and I’m constantly on here looking for info like today regarding our potential signing, I watch sky sport and match of the day plus the EFL on Quest.
I didn’t watch one second of the recent Women’s World Cup.

So your input on the subject is unsubstantiated and useless then, gotcha

Last edited:
The lawsuit they filed is about equal pay for the members of the national teams in the service of the national teams. In particular was the issue of the men earning more for a loss than women do for a win.

The US men's team makes no more revenue than the women's, have never advanced beyond a quarter final, and has lower viewing figures.

You mean you've been going on about this issue without even knowing the basic facts of what it's about?

So your input on the subject is unsubstantiated and useless then, gotcha

Not at all...the women want to be paid the same as the men. When some of these girls are paid a whole lot more than some of the men.

U.S. Women’s Team and U.S. Soccer Agree to Mediation Over Gender Discrimination Claim

Not at all...the women want to be paid the same as the men. When some of these girls are paid a whole lot more than some of the men.

U.S. Women’s Team and U.S. Soccer Agree to Mediation Over Gender Discrimination Claim
You said they wanted to be paid the same as MLS stars. You were wrong. They want to be paid as much as their male colleagues are paid on the national team. Some may be paid more-although I doubt its their fee for playing for the national team, the issue at stake- but others are being paid less and they want parity.

Last edited:
Why would they get paid the same? The women aren't playing with the men. It's not like a man and a woman doing the same job in an office.

Give it 2 months and nobody will give a toss what is happening in the world of women's football. Even this week everyone is playing tennis because if Wimbledon or cycling because the Tour de France is in. Next week everyone will be in the golf course. I was watching the netball earlier just because it was live sport.

The women's football was riding the crest of a wave for a month but it will soon forgotten about. They might get a some extra spectators at the first few games but it won't last.

You said they wanted to be paid the same as MLS stars. You were wrong. They want to be paid as much as their male colleagues are paid on the national team. Some may be paid more-although I doubt its their fee for playing for the national team, the issue at stake- but others are being paid less and they want parity.

Did you read the article? The US Soccer Federation pays the women win bonuses plus an annual salary which the women’s team agreed to and signed a contract. Fifa pays out prize money. The US men’s team do not get an annual salary, they get win bonuses or 5k for a appearance if they lose. The women make substantially less in their respected leagues which are governed by the US Soccer Federation. The US Soccer Federation has nothing to do with the prize money FIFA pays out, nor how much the professional leagues give out. The women made 250 thousand for their World Cup, plus their annual salary, plus win bonuses...they made somewhere up around a half million. That’s not including endorsement deals. Now they will go back to their respected leagues to around 4000 people a game, compared to MLS average of 20,000 a game.

Why would they get paid the same? The women aren't playing with the men. It's not like a man and a woman doing the same job in an office.

Give it 2 months and nobody will give a toss what is happening in the world of women's football. Even this week everyone is playing tennis because if Wimbledon or cycling because the Tour de France is in. Next week everyone will be in the golf course. I was watching the netball earlier just because it was live sport.

The women's football was riding the crest of a wave for a month but it will soon forgotten about. They might get a some extra spectators at the first few games but it won't last.

Agree...the only time the women garner any attention is the World Cup. Right now the US women leagues average around 4000 people a game and no tv deals...it seems the women think all this attention should carry over into their leagues but sadly it doesn’t. They would be better off having a World league or having the World Cup every 2 years, because the domestic leagues generate squat.

Last edited:

Back