The Fall & Rise of Manchester City

The decision whether to allow fans to attend the Champions League final hasn’t been made yet.If suppporters are allowed to attend I hope the Man City fans who have followed their team through thick and thin receive one each.
8-12-1998
Man City v Mansfield
Attendance 3007.
WWYWYWS

If you're a genuine fan of Man city then all your christmases have come at once with the rise of them, until now with pep.... and more to potentially come.

We'd all love this even if it was/is bankrolled to death.
They still have to play as a unit, and they still have to be managed correctly.
They seem to have it all and good luck to them.

I'm jealous, if the truth be known.

The decision whether to allow fans to attend the Champions League final hasn’t been made yet.If suppporters are allowed to attend I hope the Man City fans who have followed their team through thick and thin receive one each.
8-12-1998
Man City v Mansfield
Attendance 3007.
WWYWYWS
I was at that Mansfield game, more through chance as I was working in Whitefield near Bury in the afternoon and thought aah what the hell. Wish I hadn't bothered at the time obviously, but had no idea it would become almost 'iconic' at quoted so many times decades later.

8-12-1998
Man City v Mansfield
Attendance 3007.

WWYWYWS
That game doesn't exist?

EDIT: Ahh, my apologies. It was an Auto Windscreens (pizza) Trophy tie.

Last edited:
8-12-1998
Man City v Mansfield
Attendance 3007.
WWYWYWS

Averaged 28k that season though. Their lowest league gate was 24k.
Pretty much identical to the relegation season the previous year. People often pull this game out as a way to batter man city's support. A midweek football league trophy tie against Mansfield. A total anomaly in their attendances.

Aye, ya even quoted me edit. Well done.
Averaged 28k that season though. Their lowest league gate was 24k.
Pretty much identical to the relegation season the previous year. People often pull this game out as a way to batter man city's support. A midweek football league trophy tie against Mansfield. A total anomaly in their attendances.
Was the same with us in 18/19. Averaged over 30k for the season, but of course there were the Checkatrade games with only one stand open.

Last edited:
Man city have been very well supported even through their torrid times.
In the third division they still averaged around 26,000 fans.
I wonder how many Man Utd would've managed in that same boat? It would be interesting to see.

Probably more than Man City.
In 74/75 their average gate was 48k. Lowest was 40k, highest 60k. Even in division 2 they were the best supported club in the country.

Aye, ya even quoted me edit. Well done.

Was the same with us in 18/19. Averaged over 30k for the season, but of course there were the Checkatrade games with only one stand open.

It would be weird, but admirable, for a club used to playing higher up to be getting 30k for an early round of Trophy game.

Back