The Falklands

I've been listening to the Chris Ryan Life or Death podcasts with all the special forces guys and their stories. I'm loving them. Latest one was a fantastic listen, gripping stuff when they go into detail about the fire fights.

What happened to the Conquerer’s log always got a laugh at later social events.

I had the job of destroying HMS Conquerer's report of proceedings for op corporate when I was at cincfleet back in 91, anything not classified went off to the imperial war museum.

i probably recommend it on every thread of this type

it s fantastically depressing read about the failures of government when it comes to our Armed forces
I read this a few years ago, a brilliant book but an absolute shocker!

Similar thing I remember footage of their airforce. Twin prop "fighter planes" that looked like the kind of thing that people fly at weekends. We had the Harrier.

Had a bit of sympathy for the pilots. There was only going to be one winner in that dogfight. Must have been terrifying getting into one of them knowing what you were up against

The Argentine airforce had some decent equipment too as well as a core of well trained personnel.

The ground attack aircraft were put to good use and were the primary cause of such loss of life at San Carlos.

They were easy pickings for the superior Harrier but we couldn't keep enough of them up there to provide full air defence cover.

Shakeys (sic.) War covers it in detail and is a great read

Complete fallacy mate. Foot supported the military intervention and took a pasting from his left wing compatriots.
Again I say. According to my recollection Foot supported the idea of negotiation through the UN but the public viewed this as indecisive compared to Thatcher's militarism.

At the time Argentina had control of the islands by means of conquest so negotiations with the UN suited them just fine. All they had to do was sit tight and wait for things to fall their way. At the time they had the majority on the islands.

In the following general election Foot accused Thatcher of fighting the election on the back the blood from the Falklands in parliament. I remember Foot only being grudgingly supportive when it was obvious he was isolated due to the decisiveness of Thatcher's actions. I remember Foot being seen to be weak on the conflict. Or at least that was the perception.

Last edited:
I've been listening to the Chris Ryan Life or Death podcasts with all the special forces guys and their stories. I'm loving them. Latest one was a fantastic listen, gripping stuff when they go into detail about the fire fights.

He spends too much time on their childhoods and upbringing though, needs to get to the interesting stuff far earlier in the podcasts.

Not sure i do. Its great now, people stating the legality of that action, but no one in the UK understood that then. It was a piece of crap floating 300+ miles from the islands and very little threat.

The whole thing was an expensive piece of theatre that cost young lives.
the spitting image sketch had people standing round a board and some army bloke or something saying that this was the exclusion zone

Logon or register to see this image

i think you need to read up more

they did'nt have any twin prop fighter planes - the only thing that could fit the bill was the Pucara, which was a reasonably capable light attack / COIN aircraft - and like every other plane of its type if its caught by a fighter plane then its dead meat

there was certainly nothing wrong with their Mirage III, Daggers and Skyhawks (although the Skyhawks were a bit long in the tooth)

the big difference was the fact that we had latest version Sidewinders (AIM-9L) which greatly increased the capability of the Sea Harrier, and the fact that the Argies were at the limit range-wise for all their planes, which greatly limited their flight profiles

Im definitely going to read up more on this topic.

The Falklands happened when I was in my teens. This thread has shown up just how little I know about it and how inaccurate my memories of the time were.

Having served down there, I’d be very surprised - if not utterly amazed - if the Argentinians attempted any overt military action against what’s based down there now.

Six Typhoons with dedicated tanker support, a dedicated transport aircraft capable of heavy lift and paradrop, a Resident Infantry Company with some heavy weaponry and lots of time to train, and a Royal Navy guard ship (and the possibility of a fast attack nuclear sub in the region) would make any attack a very costly enterprise for the invading force.
Same. And don’t forget the trannys!
Gung ho tit who probably got killed by friendly fire according to historians.
What the boss is doing pushing home a Company Attack is beyond me, leading from the front aye but not his place. But, f***ing bollocks of the man must have slowed him down loads. Like atlas stones.
Stood on the spot he fell and in the shell scrape he was shot from. Would be f***ing amazed if it wasn’t the Argentinians who go him, he ran right accross a shell scrape heading up hill!

Last edited:
So tell me what the location on a map has to do with a load of Italian, Spanish and German descended immigrants that have never lived there, having a better claim than British immigrants who have lived there for generations?

I will be interested in this answer :lol:

How many politicians have committed suicide in the following years of that war and subsequent Wars we have been involved in.... and compare it to military personel. The lasting effects of warfare are seldom felt by politicians for them its another award and payrise. Army personal are easily replaced by young adults who often see the Army as being part of family a family that most have never had at home.
As for other immigrants im sure hard working folk would be more than welcome in the desolate windswept terrain... maybe too in the North Western Isles of Scotland were there has been a population decline over the years.... personally id love to have a small holding on St Kilda self osolation with the family at its finest.... anyone know the R rate?

How do you think any government at that time , under those circumstances should have responded ?

Negotiate... Both sides just needed to work together and that includes residents and any wanting to settle there to work together too. I thought the whole world embraces different cultures... We are an island and welcome migrants who want to settle and contribute to society. Well I do.

Negotiate... Both sides just needed to work together and that includes residents and any wanting to settle there to work together too. I thought the whole world embraces different cultures... We are an island and welcome migrants who want to settle and contribute to society. Well I do.

I suppose if a foreign invasion force landed wherever you live, took control and oppressed your human rights you'd be fine to just sit tight, get a long, and wait for the governments to negotiate? :rolleyes:

i hate to be the guy that invokes Godwin, but appeasement of invaders went out of fashion in the 1930's

no sane government could do anything but respond with force - if they'd rolled over and waited for UN 'resolution' then whats next - Gibraltar, Hong Kong, ??

Back