The failure of Ross

If he had got either of the strikers he appeared to have got in January we would be waiting for the Championship fixtures to come out. If the fact that they were, at least for last season, both duds is down to Ross then he shoulders the blame and should face the consequences, but even if it is that hardly makes him a 'fraud'.

What you doing right now like?

Not fuming about jack Ross

If he had got either of the strikers he appeared to have got in January we would be waiting for the Championship fixtures to come out. If the fact that they were, at least for last season, both duds is down to Ross then he shoulders the blame and should face the consequences, but even if it is that hardly makes him a 'fraud'.

Who ever decided to sell Maja takes a large amount of blame

Fans talk about 'mcgeady is too good, hes a cheat code'... 'McLaughlin 3rd best keeper we've had'... 'Maguire is the king's... 'catts has looked a level above' Baldwin was also beckenbauer early on.

Yet the manager is excused for finishing 5th? Alright.

Fans talk crap. Always have always will.

However., Ross didn't fail. The owners targeted a top six finish and that's what they got.

I think a lot of these posts are down to the fact that Sunderland supporters have forgotten how to deal with having the same manager at the start of a new season as they had at the start of the previous season.

Bruce was the last one I think.

Last edited:

Perfectly logical conclusion, if there isn't good reasons behind the scenes - that he would have spat the dummy or similar then it beggars belief as if it was financial it was very naive, what we've lost from staying down and what we'd have lost from not letting him go are miles apart.

Is it just me or is there not enough uproar? It is an absolute disgrace he couldn't get us back up at the first attempt imho, he should be embarrassed.

Really, really clinging to the hope that Mark Campbell wants his own man.

Get real, are you a mag ?? Ross has done wonders given the situation he found at Sunderland. We were a mess.
He has steadied the ship. I'm impressed by him. Rome wasn't built in a day.
He had to bring in players to boost the depleted squad, many on free transfers and spend money on the players who he thought would boost our attack. Losing Maja was a big blow. The risk of buying proven League One strikers with injuries did not pay off. He was stuck with high earning, aged players who now need moving on.
Mistakes were made, but everyone learns from their mistakes.
The stuff written about biggest budgets etc has no impact on being successful. He had to pick from what he had available.
The truth is, if Portsmouth's Tom Naylor had been red carded as he should have been, it could have been a different story and Jack Ross would have been a hero to everyone including fickle fans such as you. If that had been a Sunderland player I bet he would have been off.
As a supporter since 1962 I know what we need is stability, chopping and changing managers and back room staff rarely works. We've suffered from knee jerk reactions in the past.
Jack Ross deserves a chance to improve this squad and given the funds I think he will.
I'm proud to follow Sunderland and I've really enjoyed this last season, even though it was disappointing at the end.
Both the current and prospective shareholders hold Jack in high esteem and we need to support him and his backroom staff to get it right next season.
I'll be there.
My glass is half full.
Stop this negativity against the club I love.
Haway the Lads.

Not fuming about jack Ross

So there yet u go. You’ve just said that Ross wasn’t the only one to blame but indicate one departure was.

You are tedious on here like. You’ve no idea just come on to wind up people.

He shouldn’t be ashamed at all, have you not listened to the owners!!? The club was a shambles until the new owners came in. He took his 1st training session with 8 players, people bang on about the biggest budget, he needed a big budget to build a squad and to cover the wages of remaining high earners. We were also hampered in the transfer market as the wage bill was too high and we had to get shot people like ndong . Judge him after the 2 nd season

Got away with it because unlike some on here the owners have common sense
While I totally agree with you about everything, you said, I still cannot understand for the life of me (and there are a few on here who share similar sentiments!) why after the encouraging, Pre Season and start to the season when we were using Jacks apparently preferred, 'Pressing' style and doing it pretty well, why we more and more switched to Route One. This was before we even knew Maja was leaving, so that is not the answer. It is my most serious concern about what happened and I doubt if we will ever find out. All of the players were playing far better as individuals too. Even Baldwin and Flannagan were playing consistently well!:cool:

Fans talk about 'mcgeady is too good, hes a cheat code'... 'McLaughlin 3rd best keeper we've had'... 'Maguire is the king's... 'catts has looked a level above' Baldwin was also beckenbauer early on.

'A' fan said and was laughed off the thread before having to log off to get his bedtime story read to him.

Perfectly logical conclusion, if there isn't good reasons behind the scenes - that he would have spat the dummy or similar then it beggars belief as if it was financial it was very naive, what we've lost from staying down and what we'd have lost from not letting him go are miles apart.

I’ll never understand the reasons

I could be more cynical about it but I’ll put it down to naivety

1.5 mill is fuck all, especially when you panic and blow double on a worse player

Baldwin and maguire aren’t good enough to get you promoted

Keeper solid league one

Mcgeady n catts excellent

The squad was flawed and not one of best 2 in league

Its fair to say he got a fair amount of leeway last season. He won’t this time round....
I think that's a fair comment. I cut him some slack because of the shit show he walked into. I also don't think the appointment of Coton worked. If we can see some of plan in our signings and preseason then great, however he's under a lot pressure. I really enjoyed last season and just treated like a jolly going to new grounds and stuff, but no excuses this time though.

I think that's a fair comment. I cut him some slack because of the shit show he walked into. I also don't think the appointment of Coton worked. If we can see some of plan in our signings and preseason then great, however he's under a lot pressure. I really enjoyed last season and just treated like a jolly going to new grounds and stuff, but no excuses this time though.

I think he did ok personally

I’ve thought all season the squad was one dimensional and not quite good enough

I was very surprised we were 2nd with 5 games left

I think the majority will hold a similar view amongst fans and inside the club, the owners have already clearly stated we need to go up comfortably this season, we must go up and not have any edge of seat finish - if that doesn't look likely by mid-October he'll be gone IMO.

Back