The FA cup

I'd fully back SAFC, and any other club for that matter, if they chose to boycott the competition due to this.

Awful that only 20 teams were consulted over the decision on this. Arguably the last of the beautiful game once again destroyed by greed.

Fair play to Wilder et al for their statements.

That’d require standing up to premier league clubs. Given our recent history on that front, I think highly unlikely.

Which is a crying shame because clubs like Sunderland and Leeds have profile and a voice.

I have a season ticket and never miss a home game, not sure what the point you are trying to make is, The twats in the PL have devalued the greatest cup competition for years by playing their youth teams, they should all just fuck off the that Super League they get hard about, they will realise eventually they have fucked it

If you never miss a home game in the cup, you are the exception not the rule. People have been voting with their feet for 30 years. In the 1990s, when the cup was still special, a home tie against anyone half decent would often bring the biggest gate of the season, or at least the biggest apart from the derby if we were in the same division. Obviously this year was a special case as it was both, but look at last year. We had a home tie against Premier League opposition, and it was the lowest home gate of the season by a distance. If it had been against lesser opposition they’d probably have shut at least half the ground, charged a tenner, and still had hardly anyone there.

There’s a lot of nostalgia talking here. People stopped caring as much about the FA Cup in reality about 30 years ago. They stopped picking their best sides for it. They stopped turning up in big numbers for it. And not just at the big six, indeed perhaps not even mainly at the big six. If anything, the championship clubs take the piss even more. I miss what the FA Cup was when I was a kid, but it stopped being that a long time before this decision was taken.

If you never miss a home game in the cup, you are the exception not the rule. People have been voting with their feet for 30 years. In the 1990s, when the cup was still special, a home tie against anyone half decent would often bring the biggest gate of the season, or at least the biggest apart from the derby if we were in the same division. Obviously this year was a special case as it was both, but look at last year. We had a home tie against Premier League opposition, and it was the lowest home gate of the season by a distance. If it had been against lesser opposition they’d probably have shut at least half the ground, charged a tenner, and still had hardly anyone there.

There’s a lot of nostalgia talking here. People stopped caring as much about the FA Cup in reality about 30 years ago. They stopped picking their best sides for it. They stopped turning up in big numbers for it. And not just at the big six, indeed perhaps not even mainly at the big six. If anything, the championship clubs take the piss even more. I miss what the FA Cup was when I was a kid, but it stopped being that a long time before this decision was taken.

The size and quality depth of the top clubs means that everyone else basically has very little chance of winning the competition. They can play their second strings and still be far too strong for most. Even the mid Premier league clubs can do so (look at Fulham against us last season, we gave their weakened side a scare but ultimately won neither game).

Subsequently, the prestige of the competition has been diminished. And it has been allowed to be.

As they've scrapped replays, it would be a good idea if:-

any team outside the Prem plays a draw in an FA cup tie against a Premier league team

the tie should end on 90 minutes and the lower legue team goes through.

Scrapping extra time would mean the Prem boys would be less tired😉.

Last edited:
The FA Cup is a play thing of Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea, as is the league title and the league cup, those 5 teams have won 31 of the last 33 domestic cups, Leicester the only exception. Nobody else has won anything. Money, money, money !

Because the FA wanted to make money from Wembley. And it was sitting unused too much. Doubt Villa Park, Hillsborough or Old Trafford complained about an extra game or two at their grounds.
It was to help pay for the new Wembley, and not to pay clubs to use their grounds.
There was also an agreement to hold all England games at new Wembley for a period of time.
When you own the bat and the ball and the game, you can pretty much call the shots.

any team outside the Prem plays a draw in an FA cup tie against a Premier league team

Seriously not a bad idea.

They have 90 minutes to beat a club with a tiny budget, if they cant they dont deserve extra time.

How serious are clubs taking a potential boycott?

I'd absolutely love sunderland to join it..

I'm sure the FA cup preliminaries start in July so they'd have to get a move on organising it. Time for the FSA to stand up

The National League support scrapping replays.
I can understand that, as whichever National League team had a replay at Gateshead, they would probably lose money ?
Is anyone on here involved with supporting or on the board of lower non-League Clubs ?
Apart from an odd "derby game", I doubt many non-League Clubs or fans would want a costly midweek replay before Round 1 ?

That would honestly make games far more exciting like. For fairly obvious commercial reasons it'd never happen, but you'd get so much interest in the early rounds of the cup as a result. And big clubs would have to play their first teams as well.

Back