The Expanse (books)

How does the TV show measure up against them? Just started series 3 now and enjoyed the previous 2.
Really well, dunno anyone who’s read the books that doesn’t like the series, they’ve changed a few bits and pieces but nothing major. I had started the tv before reading it and found it a little hard to follow, a lot going on, but maybe I just need to put the iPad down and pay attention!

Really well, dunno anyone who’s read the books that doesn’t like the series, they’ve changed a few bits and pieces but nothing major. I had started the tv before reading it and found it a little hard to follow, a lot going on, but maybe I just need to put the iPad down and pay attention!
I read the first three books before I saw the series and I really like both. When I read the 4th book I visualised all the characters as the actors. Occasionally I think some of the plot changes are a little clunky on the show (like how naomi was on the nauvoo) but generally it's good

I started with the first book. I like the fact these aren't people (the main crew) who ever wanted to be involved in world changing events they just get swept up and make mistakes... It is handy they have a class mechanic, an amazing pilot and a hard as fuck nutter in the crew like...

I thought the cop was better in the book... had a more fatalistic fed up air. I imagined him older and fatter.

The books are great* far better than the TV show, I hate how they make the belters sound like retarded Asians on the TV show, it's just cringey.

I think the guy playing Jim is far too wooden, Alex actor is just awful, like he's in a school play over emphasising everything, Avasarala swears far more in the book too, she's a fantastic acidic character in the books, less so in the show. Having said that I'll still watch the TV show when season 4 starts :lol:

* all the novellas are worth reading in order too.

book 8 out today, just auto downloaded to kindle.

Am just a little bit excited to start reading! :lol:

They best get the TV back on. Or I might have to do a falling down

How does the TV show measure up against them? Just started series 3 now and enjoyed the previous 2.

Good mate. Books are always better. But the TV gives it a run for its money.

Sci fi are sods for not paying to do mor. The 3rd is last series unfortunately. Can believe Netflix haven't picked it up
It's very popular

Last edited:
The TV series is sublime, like. I'd never heard of the books but it's probably the best bit of Sci-fi I've watched in recent years. Amos is a tremendous character.

I have these lined up ready to go when I finish my current book (Lustrum by Robert harris). Should I start with book 0.5 'The Butcher of Anderson Station' or just begin from # 1 'Leviathan Wakes'?

They best get the TV back on. Or I might have to do a falling down

Good mate. Books are always better. But the TV gives it a run for its money.

Sci fi are sods for not paying to do mor. The 3rd is last series unfortunately. Can believe Netflix haven't picked it up
It's very popular

Amazon Prime renewed it for a 4th season.

Back