The end result of Gay Cake-gate

This is where allowing people to discriminate against people on the basis of their religious beliefs gets us.

Pharmacist allegedly denies woman miscarriage medication over religious beliefs

A pharmacist refuses to give a woman drugs that she has a prescription for, because those drugs can be used to have an abortion and he’s Catholic.

She’s just had a miscarriage and she needs the drug to avoid serious complications.

He refuses to let her speak to anyone else in the pharmacy, and apparently also refuses to give her the prescription back so she can take it elsewhere. She had to go to another of the same chain, 3.5 hours away.

This is where allowing people to discriminate against people on the basis of their religious beliefs gets us.

A pharmacist refuses to give a woman drugs that she has a prescription for, because those drugs can be used to have an abortion and he’s Catholic.

She’s just had a miscarriage and she needs the drug to avoid serious complications.

He refuses to let her speak to anyone else in the pharmacy, and apparently also refuses to give her the prescription back so she can take it elsewhere. She had to go to another of the same chain, 3.5 hours away.
So how is that in anyway related to what happened in n Ireland ?

People complain about Islam being a backwards religion, Christianity isn’t much different
Tidied for accuracy

Asking someone to make an item promoting an illegal activity, and them refusing as they don't agree with it, is a bit different from a medical professional refusing to do his job.

He should be fired and not giving the prescription back is completely wrong but I struggle to criticise someone for their beliefs and presume he saw it as being complicit.

He should be fired and not giving the prescription back is completely wrong but I struggle to criticise someone for their beliefs and presume he saw it as being complicit.
You’d think there’d be a code / law that prevents a pharmacist from denying someone a prescription.

In the UK at least.

People complain about Islam being a backwards religion, catholicism isn’t much different

All religions are backward.

Why don't you say their beliefs are idiotic instead of struggling (speaking with a bottle of wine in me and know I am going to regret posting this tomorrow).

Last edited:

I think that’s a false extrapolation mind.

As much as I think the cake people were dicks they didn’t actually discriminate in their service. They wouldn’t have put that message on the cake for straight people either. And, as far as we’re aware, they would have put a message they agreed with on a cake for a gay couple. They just didn’t agree with the message. I disagree with their viewpoint, but then again I wouldn’t want to feel obligated to put a message supporting making sex before marriage illegal on a cake in my imaginary cake making business. It should be my choice, even if it makes religious people cross.

Nonsense

People complain about Islam being a backwards religion, catholicism isn’t much different
Catholicism is not a progressive ideology.

Last edited:
Not buying this as a progression of Cakegate to be fair. Different countries, different products and different legal arguments.

If Cakegate had ruled in the favour of the customer it wouldn't have affected Pillgate in any way.

Cakegate was argued in and out of a court of law and the majority of people agreed that a provider of services can refuse to provide something that goes against their beliefs.

In this case the health of the plaintiff is the issue and the pharmacist is set to get both their legs slapped, for that and for withholding the prescription.

Back