The End of The Bouncer?

What a load of bollocks.

Batsmen need to learn how to play a bouncer. Most of the injuries I’ve seen come from the batsman taking their eyes off the ball. The first thing you are taught is to watch the ball.

take your eyes off it and you end up getting hurt

What a load of bollocks.

Batsmen need to learn how to play a bouncer. Most of the injuries I’ve seen come from the batsman taking their eyes off the ball. The first thing you are taught is to watch the ball.

take your eyes off it and you end up getting hurt
That's the problem with modern protective equipment. Batters don't watch the ball properly, they just see it drop short and duck, and trust that their helmet etc does the job.

That's the problem with modern protective equipment. Batters don't watch the ball properly, they just see it drop short and duck, and trust that their helmet etc does the job.
Most of the injuries I’ve seen over the last few years have been down to exactly that. They turn their heads away and end up exposing the most vulnerable parts to the ball.

Most of the injuries I’ve seen over the last few years have been down to exactly that. They turn their heads away and end up exposing the most vulnerable parts to the ball.
I know it's a horrible thing to say, but that's exactly what happened with Phil Hughes.

I know it's a horrible thing to say, but that's exactly what happened with Phil Hughes.
Yep. It sickened me as it was very avoidable. I grew up in an era where no one wore helmets so you HAD to watch the ball and avoid it. Now they panic and turn away and this is what is causing the injuries.

If they want to eliminate the bouncer they should also amend lbw rule.. if it’s hitting the stumps, it’s out. Doesn’t matter where it pitches or if it hits the batsman in line

Bowling from wide around the wicket would increase a few zillion percent.
Probably, but I also think there’s gonna be an adjustment to batting stances where they will essentially open up a little (end up like a fwad alam/ chanderpaul crab stance). From a pure geometric perspective, this means that the stumps are essentially at an acute angle to the plane of the ball trajectory instead of being 90 degrees so it has the overall effect of making the stump narrower to the ball coming at an angle.

also another tweak could be that you can be out lbw to a ball pitching outside leg if you offer no shot

Back