The Elizabeth Line (Crossrail)

:lol::lol::lol:

How much is a pint on it? Can you pay cash?

I was just on it earlier and when I went through the carriages saying hello to people they just rudely continued minding their own business reading kindles and whatnot. Absolute freaks.

I'm back on the Grand Central now and there's a lad on the same carriage as me who went to my primary school, so I feel safe again.

Travelling around London has certainly improved over the years, don't know about levelling up, but still seems to be plenty of building work going on down there, you would think they would stop, and move all the cranes, tunnellers and cement mixers up to the North wouldn't you? nah ! me neither, levelling up is a load of Tory bollocks.

Anyway back on topic, got train from St Pancras to Maze Hill ( for Greenwich) last weekend, piece of piss, 28 minutes, would've took an hour+ back in the day on the tube. Same with Brighton, straight through from St Pancras, back in the day had to travel across London to Victoria. The young uns don't know how lucky they've got it today when down in London ;)

Certainly if you combine the Elizabeth line with Thameslink (remember when it was called Thameslink 2000? - that scheme had many more delays than Crossrail) you have two cross-London lines which open up a lot of routes which were previously very difficult.

There are still some big bottlenecks with London's public transport system but it is now approaching one of the best of any major city in the world, certainly of anywhere outside of Asia.
:lol::lol::lol:

How much is a pint on it? Can you pay cash?

Greggs will be opening a branch in the restaurant car of each train.

I'm looking forward to seeing if

coast > NCL airport > LHR airport > Elizabethan line to Liverpool St

Is any quicker than

coast > NCL mainline > KGX > The City (4.5 hours door to door)

Just paid £129 for NCL to KGX a week on Monday, the flight down would have 'only' been a tenner more and obviously much shorter, but it's currently a chew on to get across from Heathrow.

I'm looking forward to seeing if

coast > NCL airport > LHR airport > Elizabethan line to Liverpool St

Is any quicker than

coast > NCL mainline > KGX > The City (4.5 hours door to door)

Just paid £129 for NCL to KGX a week on Monday, the flight down would have 'only' been a tenner more and obviously much shorter, but it's currently a chew on to get across from Heathrow.

Heathrow in 28 mins: Price of Crossrail airport premium revealed

Lays out the pros and cons pretty well. hope it helps.

All joking aside, I went on it twice yesterday and it was top tbf. Easily navigated stations, wide platforms, air con carriages you can walk all the way through. 5 mins from Liverpool st to Tottenham court rd. It’ll be a revelation when it runs from Essex to reading right through the centre of town. The area around the entrance at Liverpool St is showing loads more signs of life, that pub on the pedestrianised square has never been busier.

All joking aside, I went on it twice yesterday and it was top tbf. Easily navigated stations, wide platforms, air con carriages you can walk all the way through. 5 mins from Liverpool st to Tottenham court rd. It’ll be a revelation when it runs from Essex to reading right through the centre of town. The area around the entrance at Liverpool St is showing loads more signs of life, that pub on the pedestrianised square has never been busier.
The railway tavern has always done a roaring trade.. wouldn't mind it's shit the Nicholson's pub across the road is much better

The Railway Tavern? Used to often end up there on a Sunday afternoon watching the football before going home. Always a but grotty in there (as many station pubs are) but aren't that many pubs in central London which show live football.

Last edited:
I know it was posted in jest, but it beggars belief spending all that money so Londoners can save seven minutes, while up here GoNorthEast are planning on cutting loads of services.

They want to cut the 28 which is a direct link to Gateshead/Newcastle and are going to reduce the frequency of the 34. It's going to make it harder for people going to work and school, and there will be no direct bus to GP surgeries in Birtley or Pelton Fell or the QE hospital. It will impact my daughter who uses the bus to go to and from school.
Couldn’t agree more, billions of pounds to cut a few minutes. BTW you still have to change trains/tubes for some of the journeys. It’s nothing compared to HS2 like. I used to think the Millennium Dome was a waste of money.

Couldn’t agree more, billions of pounds to cut a few minutes. BTW you still have to change trains/tubes for some of the journeys. It’s nothing compared to HS2 like. I used to think the Millennium Dome was a waste of money.
Wasn't just about a few minutes though is it..it's also about adding capacity.. anyone who used to commute pre covid could tell you the sardine conditions..

I travel the central line now twice a week and it's still rammed at times albeit less so thab before .

Wasn't just about a few minutes though is it..it's also about adding capacity.. anyone who used to commute pre covid could tell you the sardine conditions..

I travel the central line now twice a week and it's still rammed at times albeit less so thab before .
Lot of money for extra capacity..

Well over budget ...

Seriously anyone who commuted daily would tell you .. and also it allows a lot of east to west travel far easier..

Obviously new work model of most being hybrid has made capacity requirements less but this was planned 15-20 years ago and the numbers will return.. they ready are.

The changing trains bit is temporary till the autumn. Changing trains is a case of hopping off one train, nip across the platform and hop on the next train. It happens across the tube network and is minimal fuss.

The journey times in the central section are more or less halved in most cases and will take passenger load off the other existing lines.

Yes it’s late, yes it’s over budget but it is a significant addition to the infrastructure for a huge section of the greater South East, not just London.

Take it as a model and start hammering MPs across the whole of the North to campaign for something which will similarly regenerate. It needs Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Hull, all three major NE towns & cities, Barnsley, York, Wakefield, Huddersfield, Halifax et al to join forces and push for a coordinated solution and a pot of gold rather than selling each other out for their 30 pieces of silver.

The changing trains bit is temporary till the autumn. Changing trains is a case of hopping off one train, nip across the platform and hop on the next train. It happens across the tube network and is minimal fuss.
Green Park is doing my head in at the minute. Transferring to the Jubilee Line takes forever. They’ve got a diversion in place and I swear you have to walk for a mile to change lines.

If it had been done cheaper then people would be complaining that it was built too small and would need more money spent in a few years to expand it.

This is a resource which will be used for the next 100 years. You don't get much infrastructure

The railway tavern has always done a roaring trade.. wouldn't mind it's shit the Nicholson's pub across the road is much better
Always interesting being in any of the pubs around Liverpool St on a morning. The number of city workers who'd pop in for a quick double was eye-opening.

If it had been done cheaper then people would be complaining that it was built too small and would need more money spent in a few years to expand it.

This is a resource which will be used for the next 100 years. You don't get much infrastructure
Heaven forfend that anything in The Capitol should be done cheaply.

Back