The dropping of Dobson

TBF to Ross Power and Leadbitter performed well together against Accrington and Portsmouth, I don’t think either really did particularly well yesterday though so perhaps Dobson comes back in on Saturday.

Drop Maguire and go with Power, Dobson and McGeough in the middle. We need to control the game in the middle of the pitch and dictate to the opposition.

All McGeady and Gooch want to do is get shots off at goal. Playing 3 in the middle will allow them to get further up the pitch to do this.

O9 was dropped for being poor and only brought back in to cover at RB.
We've tried 3 holding CM's before as you are suggesting and it hasn't worked for us - except when designed specifically for the 0-0 in semi final second leg. Would make our awful football even more awful. Terrible suggestion in my view.

Power and Leadbitter took their chance v Accrington and Portsmouth so probably deserved to stay in.

Dobson has shown some promise as well and there is an argument to say he didn't deserve to be dropped but he is young and this is a step up scale wise, if not not league wise

I'm not sure Jack Ross knows his best partnership in that area of the pitch and again it may come, a bit perversely, from having too many options to select from. If you look at other teams they will have 2 mainstays and maybe 1 in reserve in that area which has downsides I accept but also allows for a bit of continuity and familiarity, ability to forge a partnership.

Ultimately it is up to Ross to sort that but he doesn't help himself putting Dylan and Grant in the same midfield 2 against high tempo, pressing, physical teams which is what the majority of League 1 teams are

TBF to Ross Power and Leadbitter performed well together against Accrington and Portsmouth, I don’t think either really did particularly well yesterday though so perhaps Dobson comes back in on Saturday.
Did alright in the main but overrun a lot just as they were at times against Portsmouth. It happens when you've got the likes of Maguire going missing and full backs being anywhere but where they should be.

He probably took Power off as he's just back from injury and worked his socks off last couple of games, but there might have been fair argument for taking Maguire off and putting Dobson in midfield with Leadbitter and Power to control the game more. I wonder if Ross is fearful of making what would have looked life a defensive move at present though.

We've tried 3 holding CM's before as you are suggesting and it hasn't worked for us - except when designed specifically for the 0-0 in semi final second leg. Would make our awful football even more awful. Terrible suggestion in my view.

Who suggested 3 holding midfielders??? 1 holding and 2 ahead pushing on with the 2 wingers getting up to the forward.

But you are right in saying that JR would use it as 3 holding midfielders.

Last edited:
I think ROSS is just going with experience at the minute due to the high pressure of the games. Thought it was an awful decision not to bring him on second half last night though and it nearly cost us.
Went 4 4 2 when we under the cosh near the end ffs

Who suggested 3 holding midfielders??? 1 holding and 2 ahead pushing on with the 2 wingers getting up to the forward.

But you are right in saying that JR would use it as 3 holding midfielders.
I've seen Power used as an advanced midfielder/number 10 on a few occasions and he was useless - can't do it. I certainly don't see McGeouch playing advanced and Dobson seems to have played defensive midfielder during his short career. Playing those 3 CM's whatever you tell them to do would be rubbish - it would reduce our shots on target from averaging 1 per game to less than one. It would be awful.

Power and Dobson on Saturday i reckon, freshen it up a little.

Leadbitter on to replace Power about 60 minutes, keep everyone fit.

We have good options there for this level and no reason why we can't or shouldn't freshen things up. We didn't move the ball quickly and have enough energy in midfield in general last night. I'd be tempted to start Dobson and Mcgeouch on Saturday.

I've seen Power used as an advanced midfielder/number 10 on a few occasions and he was useless - can't do it. I certainly don't see McGeouch playing advanced and Dobson seems to have played defensive midfielder during his short career. Playing those 3 CM's whatever you tell them to do would be rubbish - it would reduce our shots on target from averaging 1 per game to less than one. It would be awful.

Why do you suggest no.10 role??? Nobody at the club is capable of playing that role. It would be McGeough to hold with x2 dynamic box to box midfielders. You also allow the wingers to play off the wingers.

Why do you suggest no.10 role??? Nobody at the club is capable of playing that role. It would be McGeough to hold with x2 dynamic box to box midfielders. You also allow the wingers to play off the wingers.
Any system using the 3 you suggest would become defensive and less creative than we are now.

That’s not three holding midfielders. It’s one. The two in front would be required to press and support the attack. Both Power and Dobson could do that job. In fact it appears that it’s Ross’ 4-2-3-1 that has them chained to a space in front of the defence.

Drop Maguire and go with Power, Dobson and McGeough in the middle. We need to control the game in the middle of the pitch and dictate to the opposition.

All McGeady and Gooch want to do is get shots off at goal. Playing 3 in the middle will allow them to get further up the pitch to do this.

Not the worst plan as long as not McGeouch. He's dire.

I cannot get away with Power or Leadbitter they impose no authority on games at all which is the main reason we never have decent spells of possession

3 CMs, especially those types of players would be absolutely chronic.

Back