The Doors ... Sliding Doors ... Bifold ..

We are trying to decide what to replace an elderly sliding patio door with. The width is approx 2.5m and we have had 1 quote so far, all white pvc.

- bifolding 3 panels = 4K but the salesman advised against it as he reckons that people don’t use them much in U.K. weather.

- x2 French doors with a side panel of glass on each side = £2300. The only problem with French doors is that they blow shut if it’s windy, we could fix on some door stays?

- we have seen sliding French doors that look good and would be ideal but these are apparently more expensive than bifolds.

- replacement sliding patio door = £1860.

Does anyone have bifolds and were they worth fitting please?

We are trying to decide what to replace an elderly sliding patio door with. The width is approx 2.5m and we have had 1 quote so far, all white pvc.

- bifolding 3 panels = 4K but the salesman advised against it as he reckons that people don’t use them much in U.K. weather.

- x2 French doors with a side panel of glass on each side = £2300. The only problem with French doors is that they blow shut if it’s windy, we could fix on some door stays?

- we have seen sliding French doors that look good and would be ideal but these are apparently more expensive than bifolds.

How big is the panel either side of the double French doors? We have this into the garden and I've fixed a hook into the wall and then clip the handle into the hook to keep them open. Obviously, the door is bigger than the side panel so the handle overlaps onto masonry.

How big is the panel either side of the double French doors? We have this into the garden and I've fixed a hook into the wall and then clip the handle into the hook to keep them open during. Obviously, the door is bigger than the side panel so the handle overlaps onto masonry.
We have French doors off the kitchen and they are about 1.4m width over 2 doors. We could get some wider ones to e.g. 1.6m and then have 50cm panels on either side.

The frenchies are ok but I currently wedge a garden chair behind one to stop it blowing back on its hinges.

Your idea seems like a good solution, on the web I’ve seen some decorative rope being used.

We have French doors off the kitchen and they are about 1.4m width over 2 doors. We could get some wider ones to e.g. 1.6m and then have 50cm panels on either side.

The frenchies are ok but I currently wedge a garden chair behind one to stop it blowing back on its hinges.

Your idea seems like a good solution, on the web I’ve seen some decorative rope being used.

I bought some oversize hooks with a plastic coating and fixed them into the wall. The hook is upside down, so I simply turn the door handle (down), then latch it up into the hook. Just as easy to release to close the door. The plastic coating means it doesn't scratch the handle too. It's never failed either, even when the wind gets up.

I bought some oversize hooks with a plastic coating and fixed them into the wall. The hook is upside down, so I simply turn the door handle (down), then latch it up into the hook. Just as easy to release to close the door. The plastic coating means it doesn't scratch the handle too. It's never failed either, even when the wind gets up.
Ok thanks I am tempted to go for French doors as they’re more practical.

Yes it's cheaper . My builder mate orders the doors trade price which is what you pay and he fits them at £15 an hour . He's time served anarl unlike a lot of the glazing gadgies .
Ok thanks. A builder fitted the other French doors and we paid 700 quid for them I think, Rehau made in Germany.

We are having some work done to the porch so we could ask the builder to do our back doors too, oo er Mrs.

Give Chris a call at North east bi-folds .its a £3k job at the very most

Ok thanks. A builder fitted the other French doors and we paid 700 quid for them I think, Rehau made in Germany.

We are having some work done to the porch so we could ask the builder to do our back doors too, oo er Mrs.
Because it’ll be less expensive?

There is already a lintel above the existing patio doors.

Do we need an RSJ for bifolds?
No UBeam /RSJ required

Back