The diversity trend on TV

I have nothing against gay people and such, It's the proportion that pisses me off. I don't know what proportion of the population is LGBT but I do know that every light entertainment show or chip advert has to have one or two. 3 couples on come dine with me.. One is gay every time , that's not proportionate.
Its not realistic, its like putting black people in historical drama roles they would never have been in, black chief inspectors in 19th century police forces, black doctors etc. To me it rubs out the marginalisation they actually experienced.
People shouldn't be hidden but they shouldn't be paraded either.
It's adjustment. Since differences were hidden away for so long, we have to get through the guilty overcompensating phase before we find a way to just show the norm.

But perhaps for things like come dine with me, maybe a third of the couples who now apply to be on come dine with me are gay?

It's adjustment. Since differences were hidden away for so long, we have to get through the guilty overcompensating phase before we find a way to just show the norm.

But perhaps for things like come dine with me, maybe a third of the couples who now apply to be on come dine with me are gay?
Perhaps.

What I dont understand about all this racial diversity on TV is how under represented the Chinese communities are.

A supermarket advert will show all races, and often religions too, and even different sexualities. But there are rarely Chinese people featured.

They also never seem to interview Chinese students on GCSE results day, but they will bend over backwards to get a perfect mix of other ethnic backgrounds.

Ans yet actually we have had families of Chinese descent in this country for a very long time.

What I dont understand about all this racial diversity on TV is how under represented the Chinese communities are.

A supermarket advert will show all races, and often religions too, and even different sexualities. But there are rarely Chinese people featured.

They also never seem to interview Chinese students on GCSE results day, but they will bend over backwards to get a perfect mix of other ethnic backgrounds.

Ans yet actually we have had families of Chinese descent in this country for a very long time.
Had the exact same thoughts myself.

That's a very good point I hadn't considered.

There's none in any of the soaps either, which try to break their necks at doing diverse.

On a mostly unrelated note, you rarely hear anybody have a bad word to say about Chinese descendants/immigrants in this country. Genuinely a great bunch of lads.

The centre for life have posters up advertising marriages, with an image of 2 blokes tieing the knot.

im aware its in a gay area but I bet gay marriages there are under 10% of the total.

Back