The declining number of cases

Shieldsman

Striker
Seemingly great news that cases continue to decrease.
Are they though?
In my workplace (school) they’ve gone up 25% in a week. Now that there’s no need to do an ‘official’ PCR, what proportion of people are doing an LFT, getting a positive result and not reporting it?

Are they though?
In my workplace (school) they’ve gone up 25% in a week. Now that there’s no need to do an ‘official’ PCR, what proportion of people are doing an LFT, getting a positive result and not reporting it?

Didn’t bother reporting it when it hit our household over Xmas. To be honest it never crossed my mind to report it.

Are they though?
This is exactly why they've done away with the need for a PCR. A classic case of fudging the numbers.

Another way of looking at it is, how many people were testing positive on a LFT and then also going for a PCR to confirm? So in theory one person being responsible for two positive tests. Just off reading this board alone it seemed as though nearly everyone who has tested positive on a LFT would say ‘I’m off to get a PCR now’.

Are they though?
The change in pcr is essentially the first stage in doing away with mass testing, which will more than likely cease at some point this year, if we are to live with covid then we're going to have to readjust and start treating it like other viruses

Another way of looking at it is, how many people were testing positive on a LFT and then also going for a PCR to confirm? So in theory one person being responsible for two positive tests. Just off reading this board alone it seemed as though nearly everyone who has tested positive on a LFT would say ‘I’m off to get a PCR now’.
A confirmatory PCR result that is positive following a reported positive LFT still only counts as one positive case.

Does it? Fair enough didn’t realise that. Didn’t think the ‘system’ was clever enough to work that out.
Fuck knows what Wales do.

COVID-19 cases are identified by taking specimens from people and testing them for the SARS-CoV-2 virus. If the test is positive this is referred to as a case. Some positive rapid lateral flow test results are confirmed with lab-based polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests taken within 72 hours. If the PCR test results are negative, these are no longer reported as confirmed cases. If a person has more than one positive test, they are only counted as one case for all nations with the exception of Wales.

The change in pcr is essentially the first stage in doing away with mass testing, which will more than likely cease at some point this year, if we are to live with covid then we're going to have to readjust and start treating it like other viruses
Agreed. However, for ministers to come out and promote the ‘declining figures = omicron over’ message is classic Tory fudging and is very likely to be false information. There aren’t enough PCR’s for the huge numbers testing positive is the only reason they’ve done away with it.

Looking at the stats last year, cases wise, the peak was between the 8th January to the 16th January (68053, 59937, 54940, 46169, 45533, 47525, 48682, 55761, 41346)..... then 17th January cases were 38598 then several days later down to 33355 on January 19th and going below 30000 at the end of January.

It appears a similar trend is happening now with cases declining. I keep stats Sun-Sat and the daily average for that time for the Sun-Sat just ending was 117800 whilst previous weeks were 173315, 156071.

See how we go but it looks promising

Reinfections aren't counted at all, so this would never happen.

Back