The decline of British pubs

Going to the local for a few us one of the simple pleasures in life.
£3.20 for a nice pint, sit and talk shite for a few hours, nowt better.

I'm one of the youngest that goes out in our village (40) and that's part of the problem.
Young people are shit.

To be fair I was in my teens/early 20’s the last thing I wanted to be doing was sitting in a pub with loads of old blokes like, you wanted to be in the bar with the most lasses irrespective of how shite it was.

To be fair I was in my teens/early 20’s the last thing I wanted to be doing was sitting in a pub with loads of old blokes like, you wanted to be in the bar with the most lasses irrespective of how shite it was.

Fair enough, there was always time for a few pints with your mates and a game of pool in the local in those days.

The price of a pint today has as much to do with it as cheap supermarket beer. A pint has gone up by about 2,000% since the seventies and has had a very big impact on pub trade.
:lol::lol: Remember my mate wouldn't drink in the town with us 1979 because it was £1 a pint,it wasn't but in some it was very close .Its not £21 anywhere yet .Remember as well beer is £1.95 a pint still in some places today

if your pub is good enough and cater to the right crowd it will survive

I have been going to the steamboat for over 30 years and its still going

serve decent beer, good jukebox and it attracts normal grown ups

cater to your audience and they will continue to turn up

if your pub is good enough and cater to the right crowd it will survive

I have been going to the steamboat for over 30 years and its still going

serve decent beer, good jukebox and it attracts normal grown ups

cater to your audience and they will continue to turn up
You'll know my marra then, gets in most nights. Works at Travis Perkins

It’s price imo
Look at the clubs, ( mill view etc) making an absolute fortune and have done for decades. Cheap beer, clean and tidy and no hassle. Pubs in towns all over the U.K. would be busier if they sold cheaper drinks and you only have to look at the success of spoons to see a working model.

Spoons undercut breweries something chronic though. They go for maximum output and sell it as cheap as they can. I suspect the markup on some of the things they sell is massive

Wages have been fairly stagnant for around a decade personally. In real terms a massive cut.
Inflation pushes pretty much everything else up, including boozing out.
Added to which in the last 10 years we're deeper into adulthood, we've taken on a bigger house and have more mouths to feed.

Cans are cheaper than they were when I started boozing mind.

Boozing doesn't appear to be a social thing any more. I drove a taxi for a short space of time a couple of years back and next to no young uns venture into town before 1am.
The best part of the night for me was going round the pubs,seeing the same faces and meeting new people. They just have "pre drinks" consisting of getting twatted in their own house (generally alone) before venturing straight to a club in the early hours.

Spoons undercut breweries something chronic though. They go for maximum output and sell it as cheap as they can. I suspect the markup on some of the things they sell is massive
They tell the brewers what they are going to pay as opposed to the cost. I know a drewery that supplied a beer festival for spoons and the paid pretty much cost price per barrel

Boozing doesn't appear to be a social thing any more. I drove a taxi for a short space of time a couple of years back and next to no young uns venture into town before 1am.
The best part of the night for me was going round the pubs,seeing the same faces and meeting new people. They just have "pre drinks" consisting of getting twatted in their own house (generally alone) before venturing straight to a club in the early hours.
Mobile phones mean you don’t have to be in the bar for a set times before your mates leave it.

People are drinking more than ever before and will drink as much as the either want or can afford

This isn't true. Under 40s are drinking far less.

Yes a little local community boozer, I have 13 draught lines, including two craft products, some premium lager etc, I choose Smiths deliberately as it’s one of our cheapest products. My most expensive is Wylam Jakehead (6.3%) at £4.30 or main stream, Estrella £3.70 a pint.

Never seen it cheaper than that - great value

Last edited:
:lol::lol: Remember my mate wouldn't drink in the town with us 1979 because it was £1 a pint,it wasn't but in some it was very close .Its not £21 anywhere yet .Remember as well beer is £1.95 a pint still in some places today
Those are extremes I'm talking average. A pint in 1973 was 14p it's around £3.60 now. That's a twenty five fold increase.

Those are extremes I'm talking average. A pint in 1973 was 14p it's around £3.60 now. That's a twenty five fold increase.
Exact and vague at the same time ,i was on £16 a week in 1979 yop programme ,modern apprentice is about £120,everything has increased so don't see this mega rise you do in beer

Exact and vague at the same time ,i was on £16 a week in 1979 yop programme ,modern apprentice is about £120,everything has increased so don't see this mega rise you do in beer
1973 average pint was 14p. 2018 the average is £3.60. I read a stat a while ago showing how much a pint should be if it had gone up in line with other products and it was less than £2.
The massive rise is mainly due to taxation that doesn't get put on other products. Greedy chancellors and also greedy breweries have destroyed the pub trade, it's a shadow of what it was. Price is the biggest factor, beer is too expensive for what it so drinkers are now drinking at home.

1973 average pint was 14p. 2018 the average is £3.60. I read a stat a while ago showing how much a pint should be if it had gone up in line with other products and it was less than £2.
The massive rise is mainly due to taxation that doesn't get put on other products. Greedy chancellors and also greedy breweries have destroyed the pub trade, it's a shadow of what it was. Price is the biggest factor, beer is too expensive for what it so drinkers are now drinking at home.
Got ya,i would say its a factor but i would say the fact everyones home has pretty much all you need for a great night has a bearing on it too.If you couldnt buy cheap beer from everywhere i think people would go out more regardless of cost .6 Pints at £3.60 isn't a problem to the modern adult who can spend a fortune on relatively unneccesary things .Wetherspoons is driving prices down but it isn't stopping the slow decline .It will level out i think.Price has never been the reason i don't go out

There's a couple of points I'd add here, noting I haven't been through the thread as per yet.

1) You want a bar to be lively and happy, whether it be a local for banter or a bar with plenty of skirt.

2) You also want a place to be clean. Women especially will not go into a pub where there is any hint of dirt or something wrong. My local has just been done out, however, the toilets are yet to be done. While they are clean, the men's toilets do need renovating and the women's toilets are clean but cold. There's a number of women said they will not go back in until literally everything is sorted.

3) Younger people have a different outlook. Firstly, they are more likely to go round a mates to play on a Playstation or Xbox if lads or do their clothes and make up if lasses and drink beer or otherwise from the supermarket. They'll then get a a taxi straight to a club later on. As said elsewhere, do younger people want to mix with older people, even briefly at the beginning of the night?

4) Younger drinkers are starting to drink less. Various reasons have been given including alcohol being seen as unhealthy, though a very big one I've heard is fear of being caught on a mobile phone drunk or making a prat of yourself. Once online, a wrong doing could be there for ever if it's spread around. In extreme cases, a bit of footage could come back to haunt you a few years down the road where an employer has seen the potential candidate in a drinking game on the internet.

5) Home entertainment systems offer alternatives now to going to the pub, in that you can choose what to watch and just settle in front of the television with beer or otherwise and food.

--------

The smoking ban is still mentioned, with smokers just drinking cans of beer in the house rather than freeze outside when lighting up. However, people seem to be used to this now and I don;t see this as a major factor as it was at the time the ban came into force.

£1 a pint in 1979? Absolute bollocks. Twas in about 1988 that I stared paying £1 a pint in West London.

Back