The death of the DSLR is nigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

These things always look like a big horses's cock has been grafted onto a pygmy

But yes, in many ways it's surprising the mirror has survived this long. There was never much need for it with digi

I get massively tired of lugging my D7000 around but I don't think I could swap it for a compact system camera yet. I can't imagine the ergonomics or lack of viewfinder working too well if you're used to shooting a dslr.

Spread it around and we'll kill off the trend within 2 months

I like MILCs. Most of my photography is combined with hiking so the lighter body and tripod would be great. Cheaper filters and snazzy leather cases too...

I get massively tired of lugging my D7000 around but I don't think I could swap it for a compact system camera yet. I can't imagine the ergonomics or lack of viewfinder working too well if you're used to shooting a dslr.

You can get a TTL electronic viewfinder, integrated or as an optional add on. My Mrs' G3 has the integrated viewfinder and, while it's useful for framing stuff up, I wouldn't want to rely on it for manual focus...not unless it has some sort of focus meter - but then you might as well use autofocus anyway.

There's also a menu button exactly where I want to put the base of my right hand and the shortage of real estate means a lot of features are access by touch screen which is a pain in the arse - again - if you have big hands.

I'm ALMOST sold on mirror less cameras. I was watching a few old DigitalRev videos the other day where they were shooting with the X100 and I think I felt a little twinge! It reminded me of why I started taking picture in the first place - just wandering around, exploring the world and making little pieces of art along the way. I also really, really, really want to avoid turning into this man:

Logon or register to see this image

Edit: apologies for the large picture & shameless Instagraming!

I'm ALMOST sold on mirror less cameras. I was watching a few old DigitalRev videos the other day where they were shooting with the X100 and I think I felt a little twinge! It reminded me of why I started taking picture in the first place - just wandering around, exploring the world and making little pieces of art along the way. I also really, really, really want to avoid turning into this man:

Logon or register to see this image

Edit: apologies for the large picture & shameless Instagraming!

I've a digital rangefinder for just over a week or so and already my DSLR seems like a big unnecessary lump to cart around. Think it'll be rare that it'll make any sense to bring that with me.

Not really for me.

The viewfinder is pretty much essential on a bright day and for focusing properly. I did once have a Sony bridge with an electronic viewfinder and it useless when it came to focusing and I really miss having a viewfinder on my Lumix compact.

Add to that the fact that you still have to carry your lenses with you so its hardly pocket sized.

I am happy with the smaller sized DSLR, I know some people find them to small and prefer the pro-sized ones so what would they make of this?

I will stick with a DSLR for when I go out specifically to take photos and a decent pocket sized compact the rest of the time.

Not really for me.

The viewfinder is pretty much essential on a bright day and for focusing properly. I did once have a Sony bridge with an electronic viewfinder and it useless when it came to focusing and I really miss having a viewfinder on my Lumix compact.

Add to that the fact that you still have to carry your lenses with you so its hardly pocket sized.

I am happy with the smaller sized DSLR, I know some people find them to small and prefer the pro-sized ones so what would they make of this?

I will stick with a DSLR for when I go out specifically to take photos and a decent pocket sized compact the rest of the time.

That's the point of the MILC. You no longer have to 'go out specifically to take photos'. You can just hoy it in your handbag/rucksack etc 'just incase'....and a couple of lenses, fuck it they're titchy. :cool:

They are more pocketable that you might think. Our lass's G3 is bulkier than most on account of the integral viewfinder, but still goes in a coat pocket with the 20mm pancake lens fitted. The Sony NEX would fit up a gnat's chuff.

There are always going to be pros and advanced enthusiasts for whom the benefits of the DSLR outweight the drawbacks, but I could really see MILCs taking over the consumer end of the market.

I will hoy up some comparison shots (30D vs G3) when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back