The current reality of how long it could be before we are back in the Premier league

No matter what anyone says playing AND competing in the prem is what it's all about, the kudos, the exposure, the money and buzz of competing against the best every week is better than not, it will be a few years for us to get there but we have everything in place needed to do so just a bit of vision and investment from whoever takes over from Donald, it's the pinnacle and what is the point of existing if you don't at least try for it when you are ready.

Honestly can't say I've missed the premiership

I kna the owners want us back there ASAP

But can any supporter say they've really missed it

I think top half championship side for a few years would be just as or more enjoyable. Big games but all just about winable. Aye weve beat city n liverpool etc but all very unlikely.

Some decent home n aways in championship, crowds of maybe 32-40k.

I'm 50 this year and have been fortunate enough to see us play top flight/premier league football for many years

In the past few times we've been relegated from the Premier league we've managed to go back up pretty much straight away. But looking at big clubs like Leeds, Notts forest, Sheff Wed etc they've been down in the championship for years on top of clubs like Stoke, , Huddersfield who were playing in the Premier league not so long ago but are really struggling to even stay up

It seems even harder these days to make a real fist of it in the championship. Even if we are taken over in the summer by someone or a group of people with serious money the reality of us being back in the Premier league could be a long way away

Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Sheffield United have went up in recent years unfancied and on a shoestring. Derby have chucked bad money after bad and look nowhere near it.

I'd rather watch us play in a league that's competitive with players who at least seem to give a toss. I think the most enjoyable seasons I've had are those where we've been close to or promoted from the second tier

It’s a funny old game mate, who knows what’s round the corner. Let’s enjoy the ride and when we do get back let’s hope it’s more like PR days and competing rather than making the numbers up.

Exactly this. I’m certainly not yearning to be back in The Premier League, especially if it’s just to scrape a result here and there, and finish 17th. I’d happily see us build in The Championship for a period. Alas, we don’t seem to have any kind of plan even in Division Three.

With the right owners, right back room staff, and right playing staff (not journeymen) all hungry for success, we need to aspire to back in the big league.

ES got it all wrong, I have said this many times, had he have got in a proper Chief Exec (Peter Kenton type) and had us running like a proper business then we wouldn’t be where we are today.

The new owners are key to our future success, get the right personnel through the door and grow the club from the Academy up.

The championship is a different beast these days. I can’t remember a time when the quality has been higher or the top half being more competitive.

safc need to be back at that level ASAP, and then to be honest a four or five seasons in the championship, especially if we are able to compete towards the top, would be no bad thing.

I wouldn’t even be thinking of a return to the premier league for now. Obviously subject to a takeover and the right people gaining control that could change things

Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd and Everton are the only ever presents in the premier league and Everton only stayed up one season under Moves by bribing Hans Sergers
Everyone else gets a chance and eventually fucks it up. I'm confident we'll be back

Crowds don't get you promoted
But they sure as hell help, it all boils down to money, and in the pub league we are in the vast majority of the clubs income comes from people shelling out hard cash to watch, so basically we should have pissed the league last season. The championship isn't quite so simple, as you have to contend with newly relegated teams pocketing £90 million in parachute payments spread over a couple of seasons. There will always be exceptions, where well run "smaller clubs " do well, especially with the lottery that is the playoffs, but as in most things in life, "God is always on the side of the big battalions "

I think too many people (mostly the people who run the club) care about playing in the PL and not having a proper football team...what good is it to play in the Premier League just to get bent over week after week? Even in League 1 we struggle to play consistent football...in my opinion, we are a long way of having a decent PL squad that can compete in the top 10.
Agreed. If we DO make it back up there, I want to see us compete like Sheff utd, Watford, Burnley without going back to the Ellis Short model of throwing loads of money at unmotivated footballers who don't really want to be here. Let's get a young, hungry team and get them playing for the shirts.

Agree , some of the best footballl i have seen has been outside the premier League

I read somewhere maybe on here the premier league is full of imports from abroad generally squeezing the bulk of home based U.K. talent into the lower leagues - on that basis and pound for pound it could be argued the football we see in the lower leagues has more integrity than the premier league

Back