The current PC graphics card situation

You can get a GTX 1080ti for about £300 (less if you are lucky) from all the mugs that upgraded their cards for stupid money - runs everything fine on full whack.

AMD is the way to go and has been for the last 3 years. For the CPU as well.
Its like intel have stood still, theres hardly any difference between gens and the equivalent amd usually holds their own. I speaking from experience albeit not necessarily purely gaming rigs.

AMD is the way to go and has been for the last 3 years. For the CPU as well.
as much of a AMD fanboy as I am I dont agree with that tbh in regard to GPUs.

They have closed the gap with this generation, previously they made up for lack of features with a lower price point but the prices for this generation have been ridiculous even without the crazy market increases.

After having a long history with AMD cards I was planning on getting a 6800xt. Because I needed 3 display ports I would have had to get the sapphire nitro model. Which I was fine with having previously owned multiple sapphire nitros.

But when the prices came out they were looking to be around £1200 which is ridiculous.

I ended up getting a ridiculously good deal on a evga 3080 ftw3 for about £860.

I always thought allot of nvidia features were bollocks gimmicks but I have to say ray tracing and DLSS are pretty awesome. DLSS in particular which many more games are starting to incorporate, VR titles are also starting to utilize it. I know AMD have their own alternative that is coming but they are still pretty far behind nvidia and I think it will take them another generation or 2 to catch up.

as much of a AMD fanboy as I am I dont agree with that tbh in regard to GPUs.

They have closed the gap with this generation, previously they made up for lack of features with a lower price point but the prices for this generation have been ridiculous even without the crazy market increases.

After having a long history with AMD cards I was planning on getting a 6800xt. Because I needed 3 display ports I would have had to get the sapphire nitro model. Which I was fine with having previously owned multiple sapphire nitros.

But when the prices came out they were looking to be around £1200 which is ridiculous.

I ended up getting a ridiculously good deal on a evga 3080 ftw3 for about £860.

I always thought allot of nvidia features were bollocks gimmicks but I have to say ray tracing and DLSS are pretty awesome. DLSS in particular which many more games are starting to incorporate, VR titles are also starting to utilize it. I know AMD have their own alternative that is coming but they are still pretty far behind nvidia and I think it will take them another generation or 2 to catch up.

Agree 100%

I had a Sapphire Nitro+ 6900XT for a few weeks and it couldn’t touch the 3900 (so probably 3800 also) - not even close.

Bump the closest thread I could find. It's that time of year again. Rtx 4 series is due out soon. Got some notifications setup, what's the chances of them being reasonably priced this time?

Last edited:
nothing reasonalbly priced about the 40 series, the bit coin mining craze inflating the prices might have gone but nvidia have increased the prices to earn extra profit themselves.

That with the weak £ your gonna get your pants pulled down and royally rogered.

Bump the closest thread I could find. It's that time of year again. Rtx 4 series is due out soon. Got some notifications setup, what's the chances of them being reasonably priced this time?
Depends what you think is reasonable but circa £1600

Last edited:
Dread to think what the used market will be like soon. Seen videos of entire shelves of mining rigs being literally pressure washed, to clean then up before being sold as "lightly used" since the Etherium merge made mining completely worthless overnight.

Still chuffed to bit with my 3060TI FE that I got for RRP months ago. Its smashing. With DLSR on, it runs rock sold fixed 60fps at 4K with pretty high options selected. Even with DLSR off, it just about hits 60fps, but occasionally blips. It only runs about 75% with DLSR on, so I don't use too much power :)

Im building a PC for my daughter for her birthday. Light gaming but mainly school work.

Thinking i3-12100 and using onboard graphics to begin with and adding a card if she starts playing anything graphically heavy.

Has the used card market dropped to a more sensible level now?

Intel arc coming out this month. Not as quick as Nvidia or AMD, their 770 is meant to be on par with a 3060 for about $320, you can get. 3060 Ti for that price like. Hopefully the extra competition keeps the pricing fairer.

Im building a PC for my daughter for her birthday. Light gaming but mainly school work.

Thinking i3-12100 and using onboard graphics to begin with and adding a card if she starts playing anything graphically heavy.

Has the used card market dropped to a more sensible level now?
its getting there but its not quite back to pre-madness levels

but at the very low end (ie, as long as its better than onboard) its pretty much back to normal (as long as you dont mind end of life driver support)

Back