The Cure, Disintegration/ Stone Rose, Stone Roses.

The Stone Roses album is my all time favourite. I didn't discover them till I was 18. I remember listening to it for the first time and not understanding what the fuss was about. I was told to persevere and then on like the 6th listen the penny dropped and my life changed. That may sound completely over the top but it opened me up to a whole culture at uni that I would probably never have explored had I not got into that album but as it was it probably had a bearing on the bars I went to, friends I made, other bands I got into and everything else that goes with it.

Similar to me, liked other bands but couldn't really get into Stone Roses, didn't understand why they were so liked. Then it just flipped and I loved them. Think it was at a house party or something.

Lucky enough to have seen them after they got back together and easily the best gigs I've been to.

The Cure, not because it's brilliant, but because the Stone Roses was spectacularly dull.

I wanna be adored? I am the resurrection? Fuck off mate, you're a dull indie dribbler worshiped by idiots ;)

just checked that as had never heard that before. Weirdly Nevermind was released the following day to screamadelica. 23rd and 24th sept 91
Back then the vast majority of albums were released on a Tuesday in the states and came out a day earlier here in UK. Then a few year back international release dates were aligned to be a Friday.

Back then the vast majority of albums were released on a Tuesday in the states and came out a day earlier here in UK. Then a few year back international release dates were aligned to be a Friday.
They used to be a Monday didn't they, cos the charts used to be on a Sunday? I remember when The Cure released Friday I'm In Love it came out on a Friday and a big thing was made of it at the time. It still made the top 10 despite it only having two days of sales

The Stone Roses album is my all time favourite. I didn't discover them till I was 18. I remember listening to it for the first time and not understanding what the fuss was about. I was told to persevere and then on like the 6th listen the penny dropped and my life changed. That may sound completely over the top but it opened me up to a whole culture at uni that I would probably never have explored had I not got into that album but as it was it probably had a bearing on the bars I went to, friends I made, other bands I got into and everything else that goes with it.
Were you born in 82?
You're a duff track!

No, seriously, which ones? I bet I can guess...
It was only upon watching the Spike Island movie the other day that I realised I don’t actually know the worlds to most Roses songs. Which is weird cos I played it a lot when it came out. I think I just struggled to understand him and there was no internet to look them up.

Last edited:
They used to be a Monday didn't they, cos the charts used to be on a Sunday? I remember when The Cure released Friday I'm In Love it came out on a Friday and a big thing was made of it at the time. It still made the top 10 despite it only having two days of sales
Release day was Monday here but Tuesday in USA.

Both great, seminal albums and both released on the same day, 2nd May 1989.

personally I think the Cures record is the superior album. Pictures of You, Lullaby and Fascination street are masterpieces.

off top of my head can’t think of 2 other records so good releases on same day. Any others ?
its gets even better de la soul`s 3 feet high and rising was released that day too

Back