The Cure, Disintegration/ Stone Rose, Stone Roses.

mad cyril

Winger
Lost Magpie
Both great, seminal albums and both released on the same day, 2nd May 1989.

personally I think the Cures record is the superior album. Pictures of You, Lullaby and Fascination street are masterpieces.

off top of my head can’t think of 2 other records so good releases on same day. Any others ?

Disintegration is a superb and much underrated album, on a par with stone roses, I guess stones roses was their debut so added kudos

Both great, seminal albums and both released on the same day, 2nd May 1989.

personally I think the Cures record is the superior album. Pictures of You, Lullaby and Fascination street are masterpieces.

off top of my head can’t think of 2 other records so good releases on same day. Any others ?

One certainly feels much older than the other.

Same deep water as you is a fantastic song, my favourite on either of the albums mentioned but they’re both great albums. Neither quite as good as Mind bomb though, probably my album of the year for 89.

I suppose you’d have to search through the archives and see which albums were released on same day. Probably a lot of classics back in the day. I know Joy Division and Echo and the Bunnymen released theirs the same day. Future classics

The Stone Roses album is my all time favourite. I didn't discover them till I was 18. I remember listening to it for the first time and not understanding what the fuss was about. I was told to persevere and then on like the 6th listen the penny dropped and my life changed. That may sound completely over the top but it opened me up to a whole culture at uni that I would probably never have explored had I not got into that album but as it was it probably had a bearing on the bars I went to, friends I made, other bands I got into and everything else that goes with it.

The Stone Roses album is my all time favourite. I didn't discover them till I was 18. I remember listening to it for the first time and not understanding what the fuss was about. I was told to persevere and then on like the 6th listen the penny dropped and my life changed. That may sound completely over the top but it opened me up to a whole culture at uni that I would probably never have explored had I not got into that album but as it was it probably had a bearing on the bars I went to, friends I made, other bands I got into and everything else that goes with it.

All of the other stuff as a result doesn't mean it has to be your favourite, on reflection.

We all love The Stone Roses debut but Disintegration is arguably the greatest album of all time. Friday night at Heaton Park might be my favourite gig of all time though :cool:

I realise that this is just for the 1% of Hip Hop fans on this forum, but Yeezus came out the same day as Born Sinner, Watching Movies With The Sound Off and ESGN. Classic after classic.

All of the other stuff as a result doesn't mean it has to be your favourite, on reflection.

True but it is. Maybe nostalgia is at play a little. Still get misty eyed when I hear resurrection. That album was like a gateway for me. Without it I'd have probably been spending my sat nights in some shit hole like Baha Beach club or Oceana.

True but it is. Maybe nostalgia is at play a little. Still get misty eyed when I hear resurrection. That album was like a gateway for me. Without it I'd have probably been spending my sat nights in some shit hole like Baha Beach club or Oceana.

Fair enough. I know someone on here said Oasis' debut was their gateway to music, getting to know bands like The Beatles, The Sex Pistols and The Smiths as a result (the band often referencing them). Safe to say Definitely Maybe isn't better than some of those bands outputs.

For me there's a few duff tracks on The Roses album that means it doesn't stand up against the proper all time classics IMO.

Still topper mind and made for a movement/change, which is equally as important.

Back