The Crown

After having watched the first couple of episodes, I chose to watch The Kings Speech which similarly, had passed me by. Great film, and, as you suggested, shows what a great man he was.

Great film.

Aye a great man undoubtedly, despite his shyness and awkwardness he took the role he never wanted to lead his country through its bleakest period.

Inspired by this thread, thought I’d give it a whirl.

3 episodes into the first series, fantastic tv. The fella from Chernobyl is superb as Bertie.

Lots to look forward to.

When I watched the first series a couple of years ago, I was a bit taken aback with the scene where he had surgery inside Buckingham Palace!

When I watched the first series a couple of years ago, I was a bit taken aback with the scene where he had surgery inside Buckingham Palace!
Yeah, me too.

I assume the internal surgery room was set up to avoid a trip to hospital, and the media attention that would have attracted.

Always admired Anne.Recognises the she does have a public role to play but has never really been public about it. No royal titles for kids or state favours but is arguably the hardest working royal in terms of engagements. Thought the lass who played her was one of the standout performers in an understated way which personifies Anne tbh

This is exactly what Harry could have had if he wasn’t so paranoid about the media. Like Princess Anne, Prince Edward has a private life and do his kids. There was no need to scuttle off to America claiming that he wants a private life but he then chooses to pontificate on every subject known to humanity while blaming the media for him being in the public eye! You couldn’t make it up.
I really wanted to get into Chernobyl but people speaking with random English dialects was really off putting for me. I’d have much preferred it subtitled.

Is it not subtitled for the hard of hearing? If you are having difficulty understanding the accents then use the normal subtitling process.

Last edited:
No cos she wasn’t ‘good enough’ for him when they first met, then she was married ....
I don’t recall the exact chronology. It’s easy to write these people off based on the 2D portraits we are given from the official palace releases and the press’s ‘unbiased’ takes but they are complicated people thrust into situations that us plebs have never encountered so it’s easy to judge but I wouldn’t want to swap places with any of them.

Imagine being told “you’ve GOT to marry, and hurry up about it as you’re not getting any younger cos we need an heir. She has to be upper class and English and Anglican and a Virgin with no suspicious background but not related as we don’t want any further inbreeding and she has to be able to get sprogged up sharpish. Now you can shag around a bit as all daft young lads do but you better not get caught and you definitely better not get anyone up the duff. Remember EVERY move you make will be on camera and scrutinised in depth by the public. Have fun!”
And then you say ‘fuck off, I love Camilla.’

Is it not subtitled for the hard of hearing? If you are having difficulty understanding the accents then use the normal subtitling process.

it’s not the understanding of the accents, it’s the ridiculousness of having Russian / Ukranians speaking in Brummie accents.
Imo It should have either been foreign with subtitles or at least if in English fine in a broken English accent

And then you say ‘fuck off, I love Camilla.’

Does Diana not have any responsibility for trying to make her marriage work? By all accounts she was the first one to break her marriage vows and was completely childish when she couldn’t get her own way.

Would you want to share your life with a woman who would throw herself downstairs, allegedly while pregnant, or deliberately throw up after her meals. She may have looked nice in her nice frocks but she was a complete nightmare to live with, thick as a brick, with no interest in anything that her husband did, she considered him stodgy and dull and didn’t take into account just how much older than she he was.

Meanwhile the woman who you have loved for nearly twenty years is standing there, she shares all your interests, she makes you feel happy and confident and you desperately want to be in her company. Admittedly she isn’t the most beautiful woman on the planet but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Look at photographs of Charles with Diana, he looks miserable, nervous and twitchy as a beaten dog. Now look at photographs of him with Camilla both then and now, he looks happy, content with his world and confident with Camilla. You might prefer to shag a Barbie doll but would you want to spend your life with someone who makes you feel bad about yourself?

And yes, I do think that you could say similar things to support Diana against Charles, that’s why I feel that both of them deserve sympathy.

Only seen the clips on Gogglebox but it looks extremely hammy and amateurish.
You need to watch the real thing.
Does Diana not have any responsibility for trying to make her marriage work? By all accounts she was the first one to break her marriage vows and was completely childish when she couldn’t get her own way.

Would you want to share your life with a woman who would throw herself downstairs, allegedly while pregnant, or deliberately throw up after her meals. She may have looked nice in her nice frocks but she was a complete nightmare to live with, thick as a brick, with no interest in anything that her husband did, she considered him stodgy and dull and didn’t take into account just how much older than she he was.

Meanwhile the woman who you have loved for nearly twenty years is standing there, she shares all your interests, she makes you feel happy and confident and you desperately want to be in her company. Admittedly she isn’t the most beautiful woman on the planet but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Look at photographs of Charles with Diana, he looks miserable, nervous and twitchy as a beaten dog. Now look at photographs of him with Camilla both then and now, he looks happy, content with his world and confident with Camilla. You might prefer to shag a Barbie doll but would you want to spend your life with someone who makes you feel bad about yourself?

And yes, I do think that you could say similar things to support Diana against Charles, that’s why I feel that both of them deserve sympathy.
She might be an ugly marriage wrecker, but she's alive.

Last edited:

Back