The Crown

Binged 6 episodes last night.

Thatcher portrayal is spot on so far (and rightly shows her as an egotistical witch with no compassion at all - as strongly put at the very end of the Fagan episode while on about poor folk with mental health issues, 'they should be locked up'). I honestly thought before watching it that they would make her out to be the saviour of the nation / strong iron lady blahblahblah as all the other film/tv portrayals of her seem to have - so this is a refreshing interpretation.

Young prince Andrew comes across exactly how you'd expect him, a horrible full of himself little w***er.

Superb acting all around (enjoying it more than series' 1-3 so far) and learned a fair bit too such as Thatcher's son going missing in the Dakar rally which I never knew about.

Binged 6 episodes last night.

Thatcher portrayal is spot on so far (and rightly shows her as an egotistical witch with no compassion at all - as strongly put at the very end of the Fagan episode while on about poor folk with mental health issues, 'they should be locked up'). I honestly thought before watching it that they would make her out to be the saviour of the nation / strong iron lady blahblahblah as all the other film/tv portrayals of her seem to have - so this is a refreshing interpretation.

Young prince Andrew comes across exactly how you'd expect him, a horrible full of himself little w***er.

Superb acting all around (enjoying it more than series' 1-3 so far) and learned a fair bit too such as Thatcher's son going missing in the Dakar rally which I never knew about.
I don't think it was ever on the cards that Thatcher would be portrayed as 'saviour of the nation' as the creator and writer is Peter Morgan who wrote the play The Audience (with Helen Mirren) which is not particularly sympathetic to her. He also wrote the screenplays for The Queen, Frost/Nixon and The Damned United, and is Gillian Anderson's partner, interestingly enough.

Just finished episode 5. Quite a good episode going into some detail about Michael Fagan. Can understand how he was pushed to breaking point by an unfair system. The way the job centre woman spoke to him, she wouldn’t get away with it today. Thatcher’s attitude when the Queen attempted to discuss him with her 🤬

Not bothered with seasons 1-3 but might give this one a watch, sounds more like it
To be honest I never bothered as I just didn't think it was the sort of stuff I'd like. I am not anti-Royal but just wasn't that bothered. Turned out to be the best thing I've watched for ages - it tells you things I just didn't know about history, its emotional and so well done. The Queen's relationships with each PM are fascinating and without giving anything away the ones she gets on best with are not necessarily the ones you'd expect. The Queen's role in politics is a very subtle one but often quite important. I would encourage you to watch the lot as it really is brilliant and often moving television. For all the mistakes and all the inequalities that the Royal Family represent no one would swap their life for the Queens.

To be honest I never bothered as I just didn't think it was the sort of stuff I'd like. I am not anti-Royal but just wasn't that bothered. Turned out to be the best thing I've watched for ages - it tells you things I just didn't know about history, its emotional and so well done. The Queen's relationships with each PM are fascinating and without giving anything away the ones she gets on best with are not necessarily the ones you'd expect. The Queen's role in politics is a very subtle one but often quite important. I would encourage you to watch the lot as it really is brilliant and often moving television. For all the mistakes and all the inequalities that the Royal Family represent no one would swap their life for the Queens.
Same. It's fascinating in its detail but also wonderfully made. What it gets across really well it's how much of their life is palpably absurd, even the stuff away from the public glare. For a beloved institution barely any of us would stand 5 minutes with them.

If you like 'The Crown' you would love 'Victoria'

Really? I've not been as interested in looking at that. I think because The Crown is more recent and features memorable historic events etc.
I've never given Victoria a look. Is that a similar premise? Historic events wise I mean

I found the first three seasons (especially the first two) tremendous. Yeah some of it is drama but I learnt a canny bit from various events. Made me read up on former prime ministers, aberfan, the London fog, Edward etc

Thing is now it’s catching up to modern times so it’s a bit less interesting. Still mint though.

Back