The Crown

I think the Queen and Charles are both despicable individuals as their actions have shown, some of the other Royals are ok but have been royally screwed so to speak.

i don’t think they’re despicable I just think they make horrendous decisions and life choices.
The ironic thing is, these decisions they make thinking that it’s protecting their longevity and family is the reason they’re so disfunctional

i don’t think they’re despicable I just think they make horrendous decisions and life choices.
The ironic thing is, these decisions they make thinking that it’s protecting their longevity and family is the reason they’re so disfunctional

fair point, but to willingly screw over so many people I just cant get my head around

fair point, but to willingly screw over so many people I just cant get my head around

like I say I think it’s just this blind loyalty to the crown and it’s institution. They must genuinely believe that us regular folk don’t want them to divorce or marry a divorcee.
Margaret has massively been shat on and she’s probably closest to the queen

Don’t want to spoil it too much but anyone get the hints that the Queen and Prince Philip lead separate lives from the 80s onwards?

I've found it fascinating and compelling and accurate in the wider historical context. I'm largely ambivalent re the royals in general. If someone has to be Monarch, and the uk is a monarchy then I think HM Queen has largely done an outstanding job of it, upholding tradition and values. However I think the role done properly is incompatible with being a human being. Seen in her treatment of Margaret and the denial of her wish, her cold hearted treatment of her children particularly Charles. The royals became an outmoded concept some time ago. Seemed very relevant upto and including the 2nd World War then gradually lost all meaning and relevance during the intervening decades.

I really love the show though, Jared and Lithgow are fantastic in the early series, as are pretty the entire cast. Fantastic TV

The Queen let to her own devices would have allowed Margaret to marry whoever she wished. She was devoted to her and remained so throughout Margaret’s life. The Queen Mother was vehemently against it, as was the government. Don’t forget Margaret made the choice not to marry because she didn’t want to lose her royal status. You also need to view it in the context of the Abdication crisis to understand why the government was taking such a hard line against the possible marriage. The Queen Mother resented the fact her husband had to take up the slack after the abdication and she blamed the Kings early death on the Duke of Windsor so she was never going to accept Margaret marrying a divorced man.

As for the Queens children, I think that you need to consider how the Queen had been brought up and what the normal standards of child care were. Many of the older family had been alive when Queen Victoria was Queen and that informed their behaviour. In the early days the Queen as a young mother had the Victorian Queen Mary and the Queen Mother as her guides. Both were brought up in the old traditions. I don’t think that it’s unconnected that the minute all the old guard were dead the Queen came into her own. Her decision to allow Charles to marry Camilla shows how far she had come.

Its easy to say that the Queen doesn’t love her children but the facts don’t bear that out. In the real world there seems a huge bond of affection between the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and their children. We only ever saw formal photographs of them when they were on duty, so to speak but rarely how they got on in private moments. The idea that the Queen would take a photograph of Prince Philip rolling round on the grass with his children piled on top of him, like the recent photograph of Prince William is unthinkable for that time.

I think the biggest laugh out loud moment for me was just before Andrew’s wedding and he’s having a hissy fit over something (cannot remember what it was!) when in comes Charles and makes this speech about Andrew being a fringe royal who will have no chance at the throne, which really took the wind out of his sails and was a massive blow to his ego!

I definitely thought Margaret was dealt a raw deal when she was told her duties were being taken off her and would be given to Edward.

Like others have said I quite liked how Anne was portrayed, out of all them she came across as more down to Earth. I am sure it was in the late 80s Anne had appeared on Question Of Sport, because I can remember Emlyn Hughes having to behave himself and try keep his excitable hands to himself. Would have been fun to see an reenactment of that.

I would definitely class myself as an anti-royal but I have enjoyed watching it because of the storylines and some of the quality acting.

Haway man Andrew.
There are lots of people, many reading this board, who got crap A level results or crap degree results that’s if they even went to college. Doesn’t meant they’re all dunces. Intelligence can be viewed in many different ways and it’s not always visited upon is in our formative years.

Also if the depiction of the queen’s “private education” is any reflection on what Charles was exposed to it’s no surprise he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed.

(I’m not saying Charles should be getting into MENSA like but I don’t think he’s a complete dribbler!)

Did that explain his laughable a level results after 12 years of private education?

Does he need to be an academic? The Queen never went to school at all and she seems to manage okay.

As for the private education it was never about academic success. It’s about getting to know the right people to succeed in life after school, or to get into the right universities. William has never really used his degree either in the Army or as a search and rescue pilot so really it was just a ticking box exercise as it is for most young people.

Don’t want to spoil it too much but anyone get the hints that the Queen and Prince Philip lead separate lives from the 80s onwards?

Quite the opposite. Considering the circus that they embroil themselves in, they are portrayed as being very content in each others company.

Not sleeping in the same room though. Also little jibes about women the queen drops in from time to time.

I understand that but if they are as stoic with their emotions as the program would have you believe, they actually seem to enjoy each others company. Out of all the Royals they seem to have the most harmonious relationship.

I understand that but if they are as stoic with their emotions as the program would have you believe, they actually seem to enjoy each others company. Out of all the Royals they seem to have the most harmonious relationship.
Agreed. Very old school that marriage is for life.

Back