The Crown

most of the way through episode three. I know the program is centered around the queen, but it feels more about the history of the UK for the last 70 years and it does it in a very British way and that is why it is awesome.

Episode three is very well done. My old boss was a young student who was one of the many volunteers who helped out at Aberfan. He wrote a small article in the work’s newsletter on the 35th anniversary of the disaster, his memories of what he witnessed as a 17 year old staying at a local hostel when the call came in asking for volunteers to help.

I'm certainly no Royalist and I enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to the new series. Yes it's an excellently written and acted drama. For me there was too much Winston Churchill in the first series (possibly because he was played by an American?) but Claire Foy is wonderful and it's packed with famiiar British actors. Hasn't changed my opinion on Royalty, but it's a bloody good drama.

I like John Lithgow and thought he did a good job, but I couldn't get over the fact he's almost a foot taller than the character he's meant to be playing. It was Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher in reverse

The relationship she has with different prime ministers is interesting, find myself reading more about characters and events/scandals long after the episode has ended.

Just watched the Aberfan episode, absolutely devastating.

It gets confusing as the bloke who play's Lizzie's Uncle David also plays Vicky's Uncle/Father in Law in Victoria.

I think the Aberfan is the worst the series has ever made the queen look. The conversation with Wilson about putting on a show was mental. An unimaginable horror and she just didn't get it

I think the Aberfan is the worst the series has ever made the queen look. The conversation with Wilson about putting on a show was mental. An unimaginable horror and she just didn't get it

the end of the episode about Charles in wales didn't make her look much better.

the end of the episode about Charles in wales didn't make her look much better.
Interesting. I don't remember in the previous series they ever really getting at her. She was almost like a young heroine. Now with Coleman it's different. Probably the events to portray are causing that!

This genuinely might have been one of the most boring seasons of television I’ve ever watched. Only good episode was Aberfan. Couldn’t care less about the royal family and their relationships only really watch for the social and political history.

The season covers 1964-1977 and doesn’t even mention the armed conflict in Northern Ireland!

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched the first three episodes of series three this morning....

episode 3 “Aberfan” - powerful stuff, but done in a sensitive way.
I watched that last night. Very good episode and very distressing.
I thought it would be terrible, but it is actually a good historical programme that revolves around the crown.

Back