The cost of care homes

Didn't know that mind, although did know he sold the lot up just didn't know why (other than it being aassige offer he received)

Councils used to pay 600 a week or so and I think it got chopped to about 450 a week

I'd have to ask my brother for the whole story. My brother moved across to the new operator then bailed out when it was sold to blackrock

I haven’t read his book ....is it worth a read ?
Is your brother still in the business

Took his money and ran about 10 or so years ago.. he had a small percentage when blackrosk paid mega money

Just checked . Resigned August 2006 from all boards.. so 12 years

Blackstone not blackrock

Last edited:
C
The thing with income tax to cover later life care (or anything similar) is that (relatively speaking) everybody pays.

Within the current system if Bill and Ben both earn £100k pa and Bill pisses all his up the wall on hookers and blow whilst Ben lives a pretty frugal existence, if taxed at source (income tax) both will contribute equally to their social care. In the current system Bill gets Ben to subsidise his care having pissed all his money away.

There’s a reason ourselves (and most other countries) have traditionally used income taxes to raise most of our revenues, it’s the fairest way, everybody pays it proportionally based on what they can afford. If you’re earning it you’re contributing equally before you get chance to fritter it away or hide it to avoid paying your way.

Couldn't VAT be increased and used more for care costs?

If your wealthy you spend more so you pay more VAT. If you poor you spend less so you pay less VAT. Or is this flawed?

Back