The cost of care homes

If they feel that the assets were put in to trust to deprive the person, they will assess as if the person has the asset. They will then consider placing a legal charge on the recipient.
Fair enough. Look forward to that if that is how things work out.

Where are your facts for the counter argument to debunk mine then? My generalisation is totally plausible. The British are totally obsessed with home ownership and tend to dive in at the earliest opportunity. Middle class people in Sunderland don’t tend rent unless they are transient, perhaps.
Have a look at Rightmove on the rent section. There are lots of high value properties available which would be out of the reach of working class. It's not difficult.

Just had a look. 1k+ a month rent in Sunderland, excluding HMO stuff, i see 7 houses at 1k+ a month.
Well done. Is that the threshold for middle class then?
734 in Newcastle as a comparison.

Thats just houses by the way

I still haven't the faintest idea what you are blethering on about though and what relevance it has

Last edited:
Well the closest one to Sunderland contracts your point (I think) so you crack on with inane drivel. It seems you have a lot to say about nothing
And remember emojis = equal winning the internet whilst floundering in your own argument

No it doesn’t contract my point. Shall we do seaham next? Or peterlee? If my drivel is so inane I find it odd that you keep wanting to talk to me.

That proposal, regarding a % increase to income tax to cover later life care, is clearly regressive. It makes poorer people relatively poorer. Get yourself off to Dignitas if you want to snuff it quickly and cheaply.
The thing with income tax to cover later life care (or anything similar) is that (relatively speaking) everybody pays.

Within the current system if Bill and Ben both earn £100k pa and Bill pisses all his up the wall on hookers and blow whilst Ben lives a pretty frugal existence, if taxed at source (income tax) both will contribute equally to their social care. In the current system Bill gets Ben to subsidise his care having pissed all his money away.

There’s a reason ourselves (and most other countries) have traditionally used income taxes to raise most of our revenues, it’s the fairest way, everybody pays it proportionally based on what they can afford. If you’re earning it you’re contributing equally before you get chance to fritter it away or hide it to avoid paying your way.

The thing with income tax to cover later life care (or anything similar) is that (relatively speaking) everybody pays.

Within the current system if Bill and Ben both earn £100k pa and Bill pisses all his up the wall on hookers and blow whilst Ben lives a pretty frugal existence, if taxed at source (income tax) both will contribute equally to their social care. In the current system Bill gets Ben to subsidise his care having pissed all his money away.

There’s a reason ourselves (and most other countries) have traditionally used income taxes to raise most of our revenues, it’s the fairest way, everybody pays it proportionally based on what they can afford. If you’re earning it you’re contributing equally before you get chance to fritter it away or hide it to avoid paying your way.

I’d agree if it was done by increasing the upper threshold from 40 to something higher, it would be fair. Leave the lower at 20%

My Aunty had to go into one a week gone Monday when my uncle was admitted to hospital. He died on Saturday so she will have to stay there.
She’s got full capacity so it’s not dementia it’s her physical disability.
It’s my first experience of care homes and so I’d never really considered the cost, (and I’m not complaining) but bloody hell :eek:

Its an absolute disgrae, my mam spent some time in one, I couldnt believe the cost

It's a lot of money and my mam would have been appalled if she'd been aware of the treatment she was subjected to. She was physically assaulted by a cruel female member of staff who was dismissed...my mam died soon after.

That makes me very angry

Duncan Bannantyne made his millions by realising many years ago that it cost a pittance to construct a building with basic sized rooms which then had a virtual guaranteed high occupancy rate. And he clocked that payment was going to be regular every month because a lot of it is paid for by LA / Government.

Duncan Bannantyne made his millions by realising many years ago that it cost a pittance to construct a building with basic sized rooms which then had a virtual guaranteed high occupancy rate. And he clocked that payment was going to be regular every month because a lot of it is paid for by LA / Government.

And the rules changed dramatically and then paymebts were no where near as large so he jumped ship. Many operators have gone bust

And the rules changed dramatically and then paymebts were no where near as large so he jumped ship. Many operators have gone bust
I own care homes and exactly this.
I got in to late where’s Duncan didn’t
That’s why he’s a multi multi millionaire

Didn't know that mind, although did know he sold the lot up just didn't know why (other than it being aassige offer he received)

Back